Chapter 13

After a week of walking every day with Sherry, Zane is now able to get up and about by himself

After a week of walking every day with Sherry, Zane is now able to get up and about by himself. His injuries are starting to hurt less and less as each day goes by. When he's not walking around, he spends much of his time in the library reading and staring at Rose's portrait. He walks to the large windows at the back of the castle that overlook the gardens, and stares at its magnificence.

"The only thing that could possibly make this a better view is if Rose was sitting down there by the fountain," Zane whispers to himself. "One of these days when I can deal with stairs better, I'm going to go down there."

"You've healed quite quickly," states the Elite Guardsman he's seen around the house a few times.

"Really? It seems like I've been stuck in bed for a month or two," exaggerates Zane.

"We haven't been properly introduced. I'm Lord Gregor," he discloses as he sticks out his hand.

"Nice to meet you," replies Zane as he shakes his hand.

"There's been quite a bit of talk about you throughout the Elite Guard," declares Gregor.

"Really! Why?" questions Zane.

"It's because of your powers," replies Gregor.

"What do you mean?" Zane asks confused.

"No two sorcerers have the same powers. There are some who have powers that are similar, but never the same. The type of incineration spell you used is the exact same as mine, only stronger," explains Gregor.

"So how is that possible then?" inquires Zane.

"We don't know. The other strange thing is that you are the first generation of your family to have powers and yet you have more than one. Generally, only sorcerers who are at least third generation or more have multiple powers. I am a first generation as well and the power of incineration is the only power that I possess."

"Wait... what? I thought I only had the one," interrupts Zane.

"When the healers came to heal you, it wasn't them who healed you," reveals Gregor.

"Then who was it?" Zane asks feeling confused.

"You healed yourself. They attempted to heal you but your body rejected their attempts and then started healing itself. I watched it happen," admits Gregor.

"How? I thought only women had the power to heal," claims Zane.

"That's what we thought as well, but you are living proof that we were wrong," explains Gregor.

"This is crazy. I don't even know how to use my powers," adds Zane.

"So far, it seems that your subconscious mind is using you powers for self preservation. Like when you were attacked, your body just responded without you trying to use powers. Then your body responded again when you needed to be healed. When you get your strength back, I will try to help you focus your mind on using your powers at will versus out of necessity. With practice and patience, we will get it to where you will be able to use your powers any time you want."