Chapter 21

Zane relaxes in the Grand Hall near the entrance to the castle as Asher walks into the room with his packed bag ready to leave

"Well, I guess it's about that time," claims Asher.

"It's been nice speaking with you your Highness," announces Zane as he struggles to get up from his chair to go shake Asher's hand.

"Thank you for your counsel. It was very helpful," acknowledges Asher as he grips Zane's forearm.

"It was very humbling. My views on the noble have certainly changed since I've been here," Zane admits.

"We don't all have the high and mighty attitude," reveals Asher with a grin.

"I can definitely see that now," agrees Zane as he smiles. "I'm glad that we had the chance to meet."

"I as well," agrees Asher.

Lord Garrin, Chancellor Ademar, and Sherry enter the room.

"Are you all set your Highness?" asks Ademar.

"I am," he answers.

Lord Garrin opens one of the large wooden front doors to allow Asher and Ademar to exit. He follows as Zane approaches Sherry.

"Could you help me down the front steps so I can respectfully see them off?" asks Zane.

"I sure can," answers Sherry.

She grasps his arm after they pass through the open doorway and helps him slowly walk down the front steps to the castle entrance. As they near the bottom of the steps, a carriage driven by Lord Gregor pulls up behind the royal carriage that Asher is loading his bag into. Gregor climbs down from the front of the carriage and opens the side door. Rose steps out of the carriage and swiftly moves toward her father to hug him. Zane stares in shock as he realizes she's finally in front of him and he isn't dreaming. Asher watches Zane in amusement as Rose hugs Garrin.

"It's good to finally be home." Sighs Rose as she hugs her father.

"It's good to have you home honey." Replies Garrin.

"I missed you guys."

"Well, everyone here missed you as well." Admits Garrin as he finally lets go of her.

She walks over to Sherry who still stands next to Zane at the bottom of the stairs. She leans in and hugs her as well.

"I definitely missed your cooking." Declares Rose.

"I knew you would." Laughs Sherry. "It's about time you came home."

"I know." Rose agrees as she lets go of Sherry. "You must be Zane." She adds now looking at him as she extends her hand.

"Yes ma'am." He declares as he lightly grabs her outstretched hand. He leans down and kisses the top of her hand. "It's nice to meet you again."

"Again?" She thinks for a moment. "I knew you looked familiar. You're the boy from the marketplace I buy apples from each year."