Chapter Fifty-Five

Sapphire couldn't believe how strong Ruby was. She didn't exactly notice at first, possibly because of the small adrenaline rush she got from cursing someone out, but seconds later it hit her just how strong her girlfriend really was. She effortlessly broke the man's hand, as if it was a bundle of twigs. This impressed her. As they finished eating and walked to their car, Sapphire asked a question.
"Where'd you learn to hurt someone like that?"
"The hand thing? I didn't learn that, it's just instinct." She answered.
"Ruby, that wasn't something someone does effortlessly because of instinct."
"It was just my reflexes."
Sapphire didn't believe her. Ruby continued after seeing the shorter girl look at her. She didn't believe one word that came from Ruby's mouth.
"Okay, I did learn it from somewhere."
"I knew it."
"You got me. I learned it back in high school when I used to f-" She stopped herself.
"When you used to what?" Sapphire
Ruby was silent, then she went on.
"Back when I was in high school, I would fight a lot. It helped me get my anger out, and I always found myself in fights after school. I got so 'good' at it that someone told me I should be in street fighting, so I went to this one warehouse where they actually had a boxing ring. I never lost a fight, not even one, and I picked up self-defense moves from it, like how I crushed his hand. My friend back in the ring taught me that one. She was great."
Sapphire smiled, noticing how Ruby got a little upset when she talked about the fighting ring. Deciding to leave the topic for another day, the shorter girl pulled Ruby into a small alleyway next to where they parked and chastely kissed her, pinning her to the brick wall. She moved from her lips to her cheeks, whatever she could reach on her forehead, her jawline, behind her ear, and down to the crook of her neck. Ruby's mood did a complete turn, the taller girl now smiling. She picked up Sapphire by the waist and held the shorter girl's knees to her own waist, switching places and pinning her against the wall now. Sapphire let out a little gasp, then a giggle.
"Ruby, we're in public. Put me down." She chuckled, her face a deep shade of red.
Ruby ignored her statement.
"You know, I hope that guy is watching right now. I hope he gets to see that I make you happy and don't treat you like garbage."
She kissed her neck.
"I hope he sees how much I love you."
She kissed her shoulder.
"How much I need you."
Ruby pressed her lips against Sapphire's, drawing out the kiss as much as possible. Sapphire gave just as much back as Ruby was giving, gripping onto the fabric of her dress with one hand and Ruby's curls in the other. She felt Ruby's hands slightly shaking around her waist, almost as if she was being careful not to do any damage whatsoever to her, and Sapphire thought that was one of the cutest things about Ruby: how gentle she was with her.
A few minutes later, Sapphire broke the kiss and got back into the floor. She held Ruby's hand and walked to the car once again. As they pulled out of the parking lot, Ruby and Sapphire felt a surge of reassurance that they hadn't felt before, as if that kiss was enough to prove to them the only thing on their minds:

'This is the right girl.'