Chapter Eleven

"Hey!" Was the overly enthusiastic response that Sapphire got. "Come in, come in."
Making her way into the house, she looked around at the yellow-wallpapered walls covered in photo frames of what looked like a younger Ruby and whom she assumed were her parents. They looked...happy.
She discreetly looked away and stared at the floor until her own family issues disappeared from her mind. Ruby noticed the change in demeanor, but she kept to herself, not sure if Sapphire wanted to talk about it.
"Your house is lovely." Sapphire spoke softly, but Ruby could tell she was slightly smiling by the way her voice sounded.
"Thanks. Uh, so what do you want to do now?"
Both of them stared off into the distance, minds blank.
Sapphire broke the silence.
"I honestly have no idea what to do now. I didn't think I'd get this far"
A soft chuckle came from Ruby's voice.
Hesitantly, both made their ways to the couch, Sapphire sitting cross-legged and Ruby sitting in a slouched position with her legs spread. They were indeed opposites, but neither seemed to care. They didn't speak for a few minutes, but they didn't think it was awkward. This was nice to them. They both liked just having the other with them.
"So uh," Ruby began,"tell me about yourself."
"Well, my full name is Sapphire Blue, I'm from Beach City, and I'm a choir major a-"
Ruby stopped her.
"Nah, tell me about the real you. Right now you sound like you're in an interview. Talk to me in the way you would talk to your family."
Sapphire felt as if a dagger had been stabbed into her gut, and Ruby had just twisted the metaphorical knife.
"I'd, um, rather not talk to you that way.."
"Why not?"
"Because I really don't like my family, and the way I speak to them is as if I'm a robot. My responses are always 'okay' and nodding my head. I like you more than I like them, so I'd rather talk this way."
And at that moment, Sapphire realized she told the girl that she liked her, regardless of what context she put it in. That was her way of subliminally telling the truth.
"You like me?" Ruby seemed legitimately confused.

'Shit' Sapphire thought to herself.
"Yeah. You're really cool, and I feel confident around you."

'Sapphire shut up'

"I feel confident around you, too!" the taller girl replied.
"Y-you do?"
"Yeah. I don't really know why, but I'm not as nervous around you as I am with other people, and we haven't even known each other for that long."
They both giggled, happy that they could relate, even if they were so different.
"Now," Ruby began "tell me about the real you."
~
Slowly but surely, Sapphire and Ruby began to tell each other about themselves, not leaving any questions unanswered. They learned each other's favorite things, common details about their lives, and Ruby had even gotten the privilege to see Sapphire's eyes.
"Sorry, I know they're awful. I shouldn't have shown them to you." Sapphire muttered.
"No no no! They're beautiful. I've never really seen eyes that...uhm...gorgeous...." Ruby got flustered at saying the other was beautiful, blushing even more than she was already from seeing the eyes of the smaller girl. She really did think that Sapphire's eyes were incredible. She had never seen eyes as blue as hers, and it especially surprised her that they were the specific shade of sky blue that was her own favorite color.
Sapphire blushed at the comment, trying her hardest to hide the red tint on her cheeks. But for the rest of the night she did not hide behind her bangs. She left them pulled back, choosing not to hide anything from her new friend. She felt safe around Ruby, and she knew Ruby wouldn't say anything bad about her insecurities. Sapphire liked this feeling. A lot.
They continued talking for hours again, almost repeating the process that occurred the previous night. Both of the girls loved this. They felt so safe and warm, as if nothing bad could ever happen.
As they were laughing over a joke Ruby told, they both scooted closer together, knees barely touching. Their laughter slowly decreased, and all that was left on their faces were sincere smiles of admiration and appreciation of one another. Sapphire moved a little closer, then so did Ruby. They got close enough that their fingers touched. Both felt a rush of emotion, of wanting, coursing through their veins and shooting into their fingertips and toes, rushing to their cheeks and creating a delicate blush on both of their faces. They both leaned in closer, but this time with their heads. The room was still, the noises outside seemed to stop. Their hands overlapped and one held the hand of the other, fingers intertwining. Sapphire was surprised at how warm and strong Ruby's hands felt. They felt softer than she had imagined. Ruby felt the smooth skin of Sapphire's hands, her oh so small hands that made her heart melt. Their noses gently brushed, sending a second surge of wanting through them.