Chapter Seven

Sapphire quietly drove to her apartment, almost completely focused on Ruby instead of driving.

'Get her out of your head'

She parked in her usual parking space and walked up the stairs and into her smaller version of home (if she could even call something home). As she dressed into her pajamas she began to hum a lovely and sweet song. Her hums quickly turned to mutters, turning to words, and then to silence. Was she singing?
Sapphire hadn't sung anything other than her music pieces from her major. How long had it been since she stopped singing for no reason? A month? A year? She couldn't remember.
Her thoughts on the matter were halted by the buzz of a phone. It was Ruby.

R: Hey, tonight was really fun!
S:It was. I'm glad I came to the party.

There was a long pause after she sent that message. Assuming Ruby had fallen asleep, she chose to try and sleep as well. She couldn't. The more time that had passed, the more awake she was. Every car that drove by, every gust of wind did nothing more but fuel her deep concentration on the events of that night.

'Stop thinking about her'

As the sun rose to indicate it was dawn, Sapphire slowly stood up and stared at the mirror across from her bed. She stared at her golden hair, messy from tossing and turning. She stared and her uncovered eyes, the shades almost matching in the dim light of the sky. She looked at what she thought were chubby cheeks and much-too-big upper arms. She stared until she felt tears run down her cheeks, forcing herself to look away in shame of what she thought was disgusting and unfit for anyone to ever have.

'You aren't worth it'

By the time the sun rose up she was already out of bed and in the bathroom, staring at herself and wondering what she could fix and what she couldn't.
For some odd reason, she thought about the night before. She thought about how great she felt, and how confident she was around this new girl, this..this.....

"Ruby."

The name slipped out of her thoughts and into her voice, echoing in her small bathroom. She immediately covered her mouth when she spoke her name, almost in shock that she did.

'What are you doing to me?'

Her phone buzzed.