Morning After Part 3

Kevin

Putting the car in park, I turn to Tamia, "You sure you up for this?"

Sigh

"As ready as I'll ever be."

"We can always go with plan B."

"Plan B? What's that?" "Driving to wherever and forgetting everything."

"Oh, so we could drive to, I don't know say Disneyland and meet Mickey and maybe even have tea with Cinderella? She said smiling.

"Well I don't know 'bout the tea drinking, but I'm down for if you are." Still smiling she says, "As tempting as that sounds, I don't wanna run, 'cause that's what I'll be doing, and I don't wanna hide anymore."

"Then let's do this."

Getting outta the car I opened her door, taking her hand in mine I whispered "Relax."

"Sure, how hard can that be?" She replies sarcastically.

"Are you..." I stopped to laugh "What?"

"Nothing let's go." Knocking on the door, I felt Tamia shaking. I gave her hand a small squeeze trying to reassure her. I heard footsteps on the other side of the door and waited. I was trying to keep my already building anger in check. The door opens; we're greeted by Mrs. C's red eyes, probably from crying.

Why you crying, you made your choice and it wasn't Tamia?

"Mama..."

"Hey baby....Kevin." She said my name with such disgust I wondered:

Is this when I should give a fuck? Get outta here with yo teary eye bullshit. Where was all that when your daughter was pouring Hey heart out to you?

"We're just gonna pack her stuff, then be on our way." Unable to take her eyes off Tamia she said, "Can I talk to you for a minute Tamia. ... Alone?"

"No" both of us were stunned; looking from her to Mrs. C I said, "Well you heard her, whatever you gotta say go ahead and say it cause I'm not leaving her side."

"I don't know what he been telling you but baby..."

"What I been telling... woman do you even understand the situation we're in right now. Johanna has been beating Tamia; God knows what else she been doing, yet she's the one living a normal life. Now I don't know how long this been going on, but I'm glad I met her when I did, because at least now she has someone on her side. Tamia go get your stuff."

When I saw her hesitate a bit I whispered, " It's gonna be okay I'm not going anywhere." Releasing my hand she went to a room which I now know was hers leaving her mother and I in pure silence.

"Do you care?" I asked her after a while blinking back the tears she said, "Of course I do. She's still my child I never wanted anything to happen to her. I'd do anything for my kids."

"Then why don't you do what's right for her."

"I'm trying here, I know you think I'ma bad Mom but I'm doing the best I can."

"And Johanna?"

"You can't expect me to have her arrested she's still my daughter."

"So basically kicking one kid out for the other is any better."

"You have no right to judge me."

"I wasn't, just your actions."

"I'm ready." Looking up I see Tamia there with a small suitcase.

"Is everything okay?" She asked looking between her mother and me.

"Everything's fine, ready?"

"Yeah" taking the suitcase from her I head for the door, not looking back at Mrs. C.

"Good bye mama."

"Don't say it like that; we can still see each other can't we?" she said.

"Sure"

But, not any damn time soon, especially not here.

Taking her hand we left. Getting into the car I glance at her only to see her fighting back the tears. I turned her towards me and cupped her chin "Hey, come on don't do that, baby it's gonna be okay I promise."

"How? How will anything be Okay in my twisted life?"

"Your life's not twisted."

"How would you know, you've known me what five minutes. I don't have a home I don't even have a family."

"Yes you do your home is with me and I might not be blood related Thank God, but I'll be your family along with my brat of a brother and a diva sister alright? Now dry those tears I've got a day of fun planned remember" after drying her tears I took off to our next destination.