The Friend Zone

"Are you sure you want to friend-zone me?" You asked Matt with a tiny smile. "Are you sure that's how you want this to go?"

Matt's blue eyes searched your face as he thought and your mind raved with thoughts too. Being Matt's friend was great. He was lively and funny and so smart that it was hard to keep up with him sometimes.

He was also a man you could see yourself with years from now. But he had just broken your heart and friend-zoned you. Again. The friend-zoning wasn't new, but the heartbreak was.

You didn't expect to fall in love with Matt but it seemed that he never intended to fall in love with you.

"I like being your friend." He smiled. "I just don't think I'd ever see you as anything more."
"Never ever?" You were crushed but trying to stay strong.
"Sorry. But no. Neva eva."

Matt wrapped a hand around the back of your neck and pulled your forehead to his. He had to know how intimate that gesture was. He did it all the time when he spoke seriously to you. At first it hadn't bothered you. It was just your friend Matt after all.

But the longer you were around him and the better you got to know him, the more you knew one thing for sure. You knew he was the one you wanted to spend your days and nights and your "forever" with.

"Dont you enjoy being my friend?" Matt asked.
You wanted to slug him.

"Of course I do." You told him the truth and struggled to push down your desire for him. Again. But this time, your desire put up more of a fight than it ever had before.

So you smiled into his eyes and decided to give it one last shot before you accepted your place in the friend zone of his life.

Your lips were on his before he could react. One hand grabbed at his waist and the other tangled in the soft curls at the back of his head. He reacted in surprise and almost pulled away from you. But he didn't pull away. As you tilted your head to one side, deepening the kiss, he did the same. And soon Matt's hand on your neck was pressing you tight to him and his tongue was exploring yours.

"Ok. That's all you get." You tipped your head back and broke the kiss.
"No! Wait!" Matt's fingers twined into your blouse, pulling you back to him.

"No. I'm just a friend, remember?" You grinned and pried his fingers off your blouse and started to walk away with a smile of victory on your face.

"Wait!" Matt wailed and chased after you. "Where are you going?"

You stopped abruptly and turned to face your friend with your hands on your hips.
"I'm going to go sit in the friend zone." You teased.

Matt laughed and shook his head.
"It's too late for that. Your kiss knocked you so far out of the friend zone, I'm not even sure I know where that is anymore."

And as Matt kissed you long and hard and deep and with more passion than you had ever felt, you were pretty sure he'd never friend-zone you again.

Neva eva.