Night

Matt opened his eyes in the darkness and he knew immediately you weren't there. Your side of the bed was still warm so you hadn't been gone long. He reached up and rubbed a hand over his eyes as they adjusted to the dim light. His heart ached and his mind scrambled for the right words to say as he sat up in bed.

"Come back to bed." He spoke the words that where on the tip of his tongue and the top of his heart.

"I'm not sleepy." You answered quietly, hoping he would stay in bed and let you have this time to think.

"Then I'm coming over there." Matt stood up and dragged the top blanket off the bed behind him.

You wanted to raise your voice and tell him to leave you alone and give you some time for your brain to unwind. If you could just wear yourself out with all the thoughts that were constantly bombarding your mind, you would eventually get tired enough to sleep. But even when you had fussed at him a few nights earlier, he had still come to sit beside you and hold you in his arms. Just like this time.

"I don't want to get used to sleeping without you." His bare chest glowed in the dim light and he dropped down beside you on the wooden floor. Before you could protest, his arms were around you and he had pulled you to him and laid your head on his chest. Slinging the blanket around your shoulders he wrapped it around the two of you and your head fell softly onto his shoulder. You loved the feel of the soft cocoon he made for you and the deep sigh pushed out of you.

"Matt, you know it's not your fault I don't sleep well." You kissed the soft skin of his shoulder and slid your arms around his waist.

"I know, babe. But if you're not going to sleep, then I'll not sleep, too." He laughed at his own words. "You know what I mean."

"Yeah, I do." Even when he was being serious he made you smile. "Matt, I know you have what you've called an 'awkward' sleep pattern. What do you do when you can't sleep?" You looked up into his face and let your eyes linger on his wild beautiful hair and his soft full lips.

"I think of you." He replied seriously.

"Oh. That's nice. Thoughts of me put you to sleep?"

"HAHA!" Matt's loud laugh burst out of him. "Not like that."

He took a minute to readjust the blanket around your shoulder. As he did that, he slipped one hand underneath the cover to caress your breast through the thin fabric of your nightgown. Your breath caught in your throat as the warmth from his hand spread through you.

"Well, then like how?" You asked. Your voice was raspy with your mounting desire.

"Like this." Matt closed his eyes and leaned his head back slightly. "I imagine you in my arms and I imagine you holding me just like you are right now. Then I imagine your lips on mine."

"Like this?" You tilted your head up and kissed him delicately on the lips.

"No. Like this. " Matt pressed his lips to yours urgently and his tongue moved to open your mouth. You loved the taste of him and your body responded and your arms tightened around him, trying to draw him even closer to you. All the random thoughts that were filling your mind, keeping you awake, soared away as you surrendered to your hunger and your love for your husband.

"Wow." You breathed when the kiss finally broke.

"Yeah." Matt smiled. "When I think of kissing you like that, I can't think of anything else and I know that the sooner I get to sleep the sooner I can be with you in the morning."

You tried to think of something to say in response but your cluttered mind was suddenly completely free of all the usual shower of random thoughts. There were only thoughts of Matt and you relaxed in his arms and you knew sleep would come soon.

"But first..." You pulled his head back down to yours.