Chapter 13

Jack ran up the mountain with his memory box in his hand. He raised it above his head about to throw it, but let out a breath and looked down--putting down his arm.

He saddened as he recalled the previous events. The anger, the sadness, the disappointment. All of the emotions made him feel guilty.

"I knew this would happen." Pitch's voice said behind him. Jack straightened up and his eyes widened with surprise. His face angered as Pitch continued talking about how Jack felt, and about what happened.

"..but I understand." This made Jack furious. He turned around and swung his staff making snow and ice shoot at Pitch. Pitch easily blocked it with nightmare sand.

"You don't understand anything!" Jack yelled, trying to hit him. It was as if he was an ant to Pitch as he blocked them with nightmare sand. Pitch tried to hit him with nightmare sand, but Jack quickly moved to another place.

"You don't think I know what it feels like to be alone?! To not be believed in?!" He yelled as Jack jumped up. Jack yelled and tried to freeze him with all his might. Pitch raised his arms, the nightmare sand freezing.

Jack went to the ground. Pitch walked up to him.

"I know what it feels like, Jack. I was once believed in. I had a family...and I miss them so much. I can see that you had a family, too. But look at what we can do, Jack." Pitch said, putting his hand on Jack's shoulder, directing him to the work of art they made with nightmare sand and ice.

"We can make children believe! What goes better than cold and dark?" He asked him. He went away from Jack, and Jack stared at the giant sculpture.

"They'll believe...in me?" He asked, a bit of hope lighting inside of him.

"Of course! We can have a world where everything, everything will be-."

"Pitch Black?" Jack asked, finishing his sentence. Pitch stopped, and pointed his finger at him.

"And Jack Frost, too. They'll believe in us!" He said, raising his hands up. Jack shook his head, and frowned at Pitch.

"No, they'll fear both of us. And that's not what I want. And for the last time, leave me alone." He said, walking away from Pitch.

Pitch looked at him with sadness, but quickly frowned.

"Fine then. But, I have a little something of yours." He said. Jack turned around once he heard a squeal.

"Baby Tooth!" He said, and reached out for her. Pitch shook his head.

"The staff, Jack!" He said, and Jack looked him with confusion.

"Now, hand it over...and I'll let her go." Pitch said. Baby Tooth shook her head, squealing as Pitch squeezed her tighter.

Jack looked at the ground and debated whether or not to give him his staff or not. He flipped his staff upside down and gave it to Pitch. Pitch grabbed it with his free hand and looked at Jack.

"Alright. Now let her go." He said, holding his hand out.

"...No." Pitch said, and Jack's eyes widened. He pulled his hand away.

"You said you wanted to be alone. So be alone!" He said, and then proceeded to go away. Baby Tooth frowned, and used her nose as a needle.

Pitch yelled, and loosened his grip on Baby Tooth. He threw her over the mountain.

"Baby Tooth!" Jack yelled, looking at her. He turned back at Pitch and reached out for his staff. But he was too late. Pitch had snapped his staff into two.

"No!" He yelled, and felt like something inside of him died. Pitch shot nightmare sand at Jack, and he slammed up against the mountain. He groaned in pain, and fell down to the ground.

Pitch laughed, and threw his staff down to Jack. Baby Tooth laid there on the ground, and Jack looked at her.

"Baby Tooth. You alright?" He asked, picking her up by his hands. He closed his hands on her, trying to keep her warm.

She squealed, and he opened his hands. She sneezed. He sighed and leaned down.

"Sorry, all I can do is keep you cold." He said. She hopped off of his hand and went into his sweater pocket.

"Hey..." He said. He looked at the ground and let a tear fall. It immediately froze as it came in contact with his cheek.

Something bright caught his attention.

"Jack!" He heard the yelling again. He pulled the memory box out of his pocket, and it was shining bright. Baby Tooth came out of his pocket, and put her hand on the box.

He glanced at her uneasily, and put his finger on the box. He waited for a few moments before he was brought into a flashback.

F L A S H B A C K

"Jack!" His sister yelled, laughing. She laughed as he ran around the trees. He hung upside down on one as the rest of his siblings laughed along with Emma.

"Jack, that's silly." Emma said, as Jack put antlers by his ears and did a funny face and dance.

"Be careful, Jack." His mom said to him as Jack and Emma went to go ice skating.

"I will." Jack said. He laughed at Emma's eagerness, and looked at his mom one last time.

Jack looked at his sister with worry as she stood on thin ice. He took off his ice skates and crouched down, putting his skates to the side.

"Jack, I'm scared." Emma said, freaking out as she saw the ice cracking. Jack put his hand out.

"Don't look down, just look at me. Look at me." Jack said.

"You're gonna be alright...I promise." Jack said, and Emma shook her head.

"No, we're not!" She said about to cry.

"Would I trick you?" Jack asked, and Emma slightly nodded.

"Yes, you always play tricks!" She said, but Jack shook his head.

"This time it's different. Um...we're gonna have a little fun. Hopscotch! Like we play everyday." He said, and stood up. He took one step.

"One." He said, and winced--hearing the ice crack under his feet. He took another step.

"Two. Whoa!" He said as he pretended to be off balance. Emma laughed.

"Three." He said, and grabbed his staff. He held his staff out.

"Okay, now it's your turn." He said, and Emma took a step. The ice started cracking. She gasped as it cracked.

"One, two, three!" He said, and pulled her back with his staff. She flew back by the force and landed on her face. She looked up at him and smiled. He smiled back, but his smile went away once he fell into the cold, dark lake.

"Jack!" Emma yelled as she watched him fall.

~*~

Jack's eyes widened and he gasped. He felt as if he couldn't breathe. He turned to Baby Tooth and smiled.

"Did you see that?!" He said with a big smile. She crossed her arms and shook her head.

"I had a family! I had a sister, I saved her!" He yelled with joy, holding Baby Tooth in his hands. His face dawned into realization and he stared up to the moon.

"That's why you chose me..." He said. He smiled.

"I'm...I'm a guardian."

~*~

Elsa looked at her hands as tears fell down onto them. She suddenly felt colder than before...the tears instantly freezing as they touched her hand.

Rapunzel watched her in confusion.

"El...are you okay? You seem a bit..pale. Too pale." She said reaching out to touch her forehead. She shrieked and quickly pulled her hand away.

"Oh my gosh, you're freezing! It wasn't as bad before, but now it's like you're subzero!" She said. North yelled as they sleigh started losing it's magic. Hiccup looked at Elsa and saw ice spreading around her.

"North we have a big problem!" He yelled. He looked back for a second before furiously shaking the reins.

"We have big problem, too!" He said, and everybody panicked.

The sleigh started to slowly turn into ice, as Elsa did too.