Chapter Forty-Eight

• Dedicated to Julianne Colella

Quick Note: Wow can you believe only two more updates and this book is completed. BUT! The sequel is coming as well. =D I hope you enjoy this chapter and that it leaves you with more questions and a few answers *winks* =D The dedication is to a friend of mine who helped me with the medical language. I didn't use all of it as as I wrote I put in what fit but she was very informative! I hope I did it right.

Also the cover to the sequel is posted and revealed =D

*

*

My eyes fluttered open. I squinted at the soft light I felt to my left. Everything ached though the pain was a dull throb. I knew it was there, but I didn’t quite feel it.

The sound I noticed first was the soft beep of machinery. Slowly and groggily I turned my head to the left to see myself attached to a heart monitor. I could only tell from the heart shaped light that flickered next to it in rhythm with my breathing.

There is an IV with half a dozen bags it seemed attached to it and a cuff on my arm attached to a blood pressure monitor. There is a little clamp on my index finger of my left hand and I now saw a bandage and small cast or splint on my pinky finger and extensive bandaging on my wrist.

It was safe to say I’m in the hospital. Safe…safe and out of Jerry’s grasp. The relief flooded through me as wispy memories filtered through into my mind. My heart beat spiked from the realization and an alarm went off on one of the monitors low and repetitive. Not even a few minutes passed before a nurse came into the room quietly.

“Welcome back,” she said smiling when she noticed that I was awake.

“What happened?” I ask and my voice is hoarse, it made me cough.

Nurse…Julia, I saw from her name tag as she leaned over me lifting my head and fed me some ice chips. She is young, petite and gave off a healing aura.

“The doctor can explain all that to you, you were admitted to trauma and were pretty banged up.”

“How long?”

“You’ve been out for a day now,” she smiles again at me but didn’t say much more as she checked my vitals.

“You have quite a following,” she nodded her head to the right. I winced as I turned to look. MY heart rate sky rocketed again.

“Well haha I guess that is why the alarm went off, your heart is ticking strongly,” Nurse Julia chuckles. “Do you feel any pain?” she asks.

“A dull ache.”

“Okay,” she began to adjust the rate of drip on one of the bags attached to the IV.

“Now that you are awake the doctor will be in shortly to talk to you then when you are ready the police need to speak with you.”

I nodded unable to take my eyes off my ‘following’.

“Where am I?”

“Sausalito memorial ICU,” she stated as if he has said it a million times. So I am home in a sense. The hospital is not far from Jespersen Designs, my work.

I felt a rush of cold in my arm and immediately following that the dull ache disappeared and I felt lightheaded.

I smiled lazily seeing Evan and Eddie next to each other asleep, both were snoring. They sat on the right side of the room the chairs against the wall not too far away from the bed I was in. If I stretched my right arm out, I would just be out of reach of touching Evan’s knee.

“Do you want me to wake them?” she asks.

“No,” I smile shaking my head slowly. I wanted to admire my rescuers for a moment and work out anything else I might be feeling.