Chapter Thirty-Nine

Quick Note: The picture on the right is an aerial view of San Francisco. The Golden Gate Bridge and Sausalito is on the right, the Richmond District I am talking about in this chapter is at the bottom of the photo most of that area is. The Bay Bridge is the tiny part you can see at the top near the right. The swath of green by the Golden Gate Bridge is the presidio and old military installment.The large swath of green on the right is the Golden Gate Park. The tiny little island in between the two you see easily is Alcatraz where Al Capone was held. (Makes sense right since Evan played Al Capone for Halloween hehehe) That area of green between the presidio and the golden gate park right up against where the presido starts in that area is where I used to live. There is a steep hill going up there and into the presido with trails to walk and hike in omg it would kill my legs hahaha. Sigh memories hahahaha.

*

*

“Has anything been stolen Ms. Winters?” The police officer asked me. The stout man stood there with his little rectangular notepad out staring at me. Light chatter could be heard from the radio on his shoulder.

“No,” I said quietly sitting on my couch. Evan sat on the arm of the furniture next to me with an arm around my shoulders.

The police have arrived and been taking pictures and doing their report. They have been asking us questions for the last thirty minutes or so. The other two officers have been assessing the damage and speaking random cop talk into their radio.

“This happened while you two were on a cruise and you believe this was done by your ex who has recently been released from jail?” he asks waving an arm around indicating the mayhem.

“Yes,” the shock has been keeping me in a vague dream like state. The officer writes down my responses and begins to rattle off instructions on what they can and can’t do. I ran my hands through my hair. I could barely pay attention.

Jerry was in my home. Just thinking about if I had left Boxer here instead of having Stacy take him made my chest tighten. What more did he want? Fear and anger flowed through me. This isn’t supposed to be happening. The tunnel vision began to fade away and open as I came back to the reality of the situation.

“As far as we can tell from dispatch he hasn’t left the confines of his ankle monitor, your ex has been where he is supposed to be since his release and through the duration of your trip.”

My head snaps up glaring at the police man. “Then he must have done something to the monitor,” I snap.

“I assure you ma’am there is no way that can happen,” he tries to explain to me. I just roll my eyes. They don’t know Jerry like I do. “We have no just cause to go check on him physically. Your accusations are just speculation. There are no witnesses, the other officer spoke to your neighbors they didn’t see anything. We have to treat this like any other breaking and entering and go through the investigative process,” the officer explains to me. I scoff and go into my kitchen to get a glass of water. This is all making me angry.

“Are you sure there is nothing you can do? She has been through a lot with that man?” I hear Evan ask.

I wasn’t shaking anymore. I am too angry for that. I want to fight back. This isn’t fair that I can be stalked and harassed. Without proof they can’t even go check on him because he is doing what he’s supposed to for his parole or probation? What kind of shit is that?

“Without an eye witness and just cause we can’t prove either way that it was him that entered this apartment. Yes he is a suspect because of the nature of their past but without proof such as a finger print which still has to be run through the system there is not much we can do,” the officer seems apologetic as he speaks to Evan and glances at me. “Everything checks out with his probation officer as far as reporting in,” he finishes.