Chapter Sixteen

Quick Note: I hope this link works, it won't let me post it in the photo area since its not the right format, but this is a simple slide show I made of Evan, Sonja and Eddie.

http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/Amanda_Cres_Nichols/slideshow/EvanSonjaEddie

Hope it works this way easier for you guys! Enjoy the chapter!!!

*

*

“Wha…what are you doing here?” I stammered adjusting Boxer in my arms.

Suddenly, a bout of tiredness washed over me and I blinked trying to keep from leaning against my door frame. Overwhelmed by my dog’s predicament as well as the surprise and shock of Evan being on my door step was almost too much too handle.

How did he know where I live?

“I’ll explain let’s get…,” he looked at me and then to my dog expectantly.

“Oh, his name’s Boxer.”

“Let’s get Boxer to the vet first, I can see the blood.”

Without warning he moved around me and shut my door, a hand of his covered the small of my back and guided me out to his car.

“He has been acting funny for the last three weeks and his nose started bleeding…” I tried to explain in rushed breaths as we walked.

“Shh save it for the veterinarian Sonja you just calm down for now.”

I nodded finding his tone, well calming despite my slightly intoxicated state. I wiped away more tears annoyingly from my cheek as he opened the door for me to climb in holding my pet.

Evan leaned in and I pressed myself against the seat holding my breath from his sudden and extremely close proximity. All he did was buckle the seat belt around me since both my hands were full.

He gave me a reassuring smile as he slid back out and closed the door. Oh how he managed to illicit such responses from me while my dog could be gravely ill made me feel guilty.

Evan climbed in and quickly got us underway.

“Which vet hospital?” He asked turning onto the road.

“Um the twenty four hour one on the boulevard,” I said trying to comfort Boxer with some petting. My head began to throb as I quickly sobered up. The worry over my dog and being in Evan’s presence at nine pm made the effects of a huge glass of wine virtually nil.

Petting Boxer as we drove seemed to soothe me as much as him. Also, the more sober I became the more embarrassment settled in. I must seem like a crazy person: a therapy patient, frazzled over her dog, in pajamas, half inebriated on wine (oh god could he smell it on my breath ugh), crying…

I cringed and shifted uncomfortably in my seat. Surely, any attraction must be gone now.

“We are here,” he said softly as he parked.

I reached out to open the door and Evan trotted around to help me out as I held Boxer. He kept a hand on the small of my back as we walked into the forest green and salmon colored trimmed building. It was one of the nicer veterinary offices in town that was open all the time.

I walked right up to the reception desk taking a quick glance around at the other occupants in the waiting room – good there wasn’t many. My pace quickened even further as my heart rate did the same now that I am finally here.

“Hello, my dog has been feeling icky for three weeks now and tonight I noticed his nose has been bleeding…” I blurted out.

“Okay mam just stay calm we will see him, just fill out these papers and have a seat we will get to him as soon as we can.” The receptionist was pleasant though obviously tired.