Chapter Forty-Three

Quick Note: I am really nervous about this chapter. I find these parts and type of writing difficult. The photo on the right is of Jerry the song came to me last night as I am writing it and oddly feels right for the chapter in a really deranged way. If you haven't go check out my Message Board to find the game I posted last night if you want a sneak peak at the cover of the sequel 'On the Bench'. Love you all!! I will be writing more tonight as well because there is no way I can leave you all hanging for long with the next few updates.

*

*

The soft ‘ba-bump’ rhythmic sound stirred me to consciousness. Slowly opening my eyes, the first thing I see looking up is the red cables of the golden gate bridge in the dark of the night passing by. That’s what the sound is, the bridge.

My head throbbed. As a reflex I lifted my hand to rub my temple, but both my hands came up instead. I could see the duct tape tightly bounding them together and the stickiness and edges from the amount used stabbed into my wrists.

Everything in my memory hit at once. My eyes widened, the fear came crashing back down on me like a ton of bricks. The weight of it felt as if I would be pressed into the backseat of whatever car I’m in.

Jerry has kidnapped me. Automatically, I look towards the front of the car and sure enough he is there driving. I had hoped it was just a dream. The stench of a cigarette wafted in the air and I became more alert to my environment. The vehicle looks used and bits of garbage and empty water bottles littered the floor. He hasn’t noticed that I have woken yet.

I tried to move my legs and feel that they are bound together with the duct tape as well. I curse to myself. I half expected my mouth to be gagged and blindfolded but I’m not. So that tells me he has something to say and he will want a response.

Cringing, I try to reach into my pocket. Yes, my phone is still there. I didn’t dare attempt to retrieve it yet, the bounds are too tight. Oh no, I hoped no one would try to call. I didn’t think they would be that stupid, that is if they even realized I still had my phone. Why hasn’t Jerry realized it yet?

My eyes stung as a few tears fell down my face. I couldn’t imagine what Evan and my friends must be thinking or doing right now. How did he know where to find me? Being in this situation answered some of my questions. He has resumed his stalking of me, but how? I guess it doesn't matter he has me.

I had to get out of here. I tried to twist my hands in the duct tape. The sticky thickness bit into my skin.

“You won’t get out of that,” I freeze, fearful to look up at him. “Happy New Year Sonja darling,” his tone is mocking and thick with cruel intentions.

I reign in my fear and set a determined look on my face. I look up into the blue-gray eyes of my ex-boyfriend that I have not seen since that final court date. Luckily, I don’t get the full crazed stare as I can only see his face through the rear view mirror as he drove. Still, just his eyes have a disturbing haunted glow to them.

How do I handle this? I close my eyes and feel a tear run down my cheek.

“Don’t cry we are together again at last,” he comments and it’s so chilling, I involuntarily shiver.

Opening my eyes again I see he is paying attention to the road instead of me. From what I can see I am laying in the backseat and can barely move. Jerry looks thinner, but muscular. His hair is short but what I saw in his eyes disturbs me. Something is off, more so than before and also in his voice. It’s as if he’s gone stir crazy. I realize he has probably spent the last year in jail obsessing.

Thinking in this manner scared me even more. Fight or flight response started to kick in. I had to get out of here. My mind buzzed as thoughts raced through, trying to figure a way to get away from him as well as the memories of the past flooded in. I quietly tried to loosen the duct tape as I let them wash over me trying to find which ones he would play out this game with.