Chapter Thirty-One

Quick Note: The picture to the right is of the Golden Gate Bridge at night. Sigh, I miss my hometown sometimes writing books that take place in the bay area. I grew up across the bay bridge in Hayward and Oakland, but lived in San Francisco for three years as a teenager. I loved it and the hippie side of me will always call the city home. Enjoy this chapter lovies!

*

*

And waited…

It felt like a week had gone by before Evan spoke when in reality probably only five minutes have. Under the street lamp where we stood at his parked car made it difficult to read his expression clearly.

His brown eyes did darken momentarily and I saw his cheek flex, indicating that he might be gritting his teeth. I couldn’t be sure. Finally, he reached up to cup my cheek gently.

“Sonja I am not mad at you, I know you wouldn’t just let him touch you,” his voice is smooth and calm – too calm.

“Oh that’s a relief,” my head fell against his chest as I let out a breath I didn’t know I held. He wrapped his arms around me. Relief flooded my system. Why was I so afraid of his reaction?

“I’m sorry this is all new to me, us, I am rusty at the relationship game. I guess I am used to how Jerry would react…”

“Hey, hey,” Evan lifted my chin to look me directly in the eye. “I will never treat you the way he did or hurt you. Don’t you dare compare him to everyone else and please don’t be afraid to tell me anything,” his tone is so fervent I believe him without a doubt. I nodded with my acceptance of his words.

“What are you going to do?” I ask.

Evan inhales slowly and exhales. I could see him trying to control his emotions.

“I’m not sure yet, or if I can do anything, but he won’t do that again when I do deal with it,” I could hear the promise in his voice. Strangely the tone soothed my distress and I enjoyed his protective demeanor. The feeling still nagged at me that he is way more livid than he let on and keeping it in check for my benefit.

“Let’s not worry about it for tonight,” he changes the subject and his tone immediately pulling me around to the front of his car. He helped me put Boxer in the back who began to roam and sniff everything excitedly.

I chuckled realizing something ironic.

“What?” Evan asks.

“Well a while ago I had asked for vacation time when I finished with the Cooper and Terry accounts…guess I got my wish,” I spoke sardonically.

“It’s not right what he did after he practically sexually assaulted you,” Evan shut the door and quickly came around to the driver’s side. “Don’t downplay his actions just because he’s your boss and have known him a long time.”

“I’m not…I just feel bad about my deception,” I said quietly.

Evan growled as he drove off. “I am so sick of that guy getting in the way…I guess I am glad in a way that you won’t have to be around him for two weeks,” he turns giving me a sly smile.

“I’ll have a lot of free time now for the furnishing project,” I suggested.

“Oh I can think of a few other projects to fill your time with,” Evan flirted as he drove taking my hand in his. I smiled squeezing his gently as I watched him drive. I hoped he could feel my gratitude.

Sitting back in the passenger seat and absently staring out the window I began to think about how I might tell him how I feel. No matter how he shows his affection for me and how much he cares I still didn’t know the extent of his feelings for me. That made me nervous and it seemed strange to be unsure of how to tell someone you are in love with them.