CHAPTER 64

hello everyone!

IM FINALLY BACK.

I'm so sorry i havent updated but i've been in NY for the past two weeks and i barely had any time to write. I hope everyone had a great christmas and New years!

I'm sorry if you think this chapter is a little short but i did just fly in today so i am seriously jetlagged. It's 12:30am here and my body feels like its 3:30am HA i'm exhausted, so i apologize for any grammar errors. I'm half asleep.

I'll update again sometime this week/weekend. don't forget to vote and leave me your guys theories on what happened with kays mom! i like reading them (:

K well goodnight and ENJOY(:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walk out of the restroom only a few moments after Kay does, her petite body covered with the white towel that wraps around it. Her auburn hair sticks to her wet back and she drags her feet across the floor of the bedroom, walking to the dresser to pull out clean clothes. I move to sit at the edge of the bed as I watch her change in front of me, while her eyes stay fixed on the carpet.

After what happened in the shower she had cried more and I held her in my arms for I don’t know how long. She whimpered in my chest, mumbling about how she couldn’t believe her mother was gone, how she hadn’t gotten the chance to say bye, and to apologize. For what exactly, I wasn’t quite sure but I didn’t question it at the time, I just let her cry.

Now though, she was quiet and  a little too calm. She didn’t look at me as she reached around her back to clasp a black bra, and pulled a green lose top over it. She pulled a pair of dark blue jeans up her legs and buttoned the top of them, pulling the drawer open again to grab socks, then moving to sit on the other side of me.

“Are you alright?” I ask carefully.

She nods her head once and bends her knee up to her chest as she slides one of the socks over her foot. “Yeah.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yep.” She says shortly. I can tell by the blank stare on her face that she is most definitely not alright, and right now she’s beginning to shut down.

She gets the other sock over her foot and is about to stand up when I bring my hand to wrap around her wrist, stopping her.

“Babe.” She turns her head slightly towards me. “Don’t shut me out.”

“I’m not.” She says to the wall.

“Then look at me.”

She presses her lips together, but slowly drags her eyes from the wall and to my face. Her eyes are swollen from crying and her cheeks are stained pink from the hot shower.  I lift my hand and caress her cheek with my thumb, leaning in to her as I place a single kiss on her cheek. She lets out a breath she had been holding, and her eyes flutter closed. She sits like that for a few moments until she opens her eyes again and they are filled with water. She quickly tries to blink away the tears that are starting to spill over her cheeks, and lifts the back of her hand to wipe them.

“It’s alright to cry.” I try to soothe her.

“No,” She huffs. “I’ve cried for the past hour. I’m sick of crying.”

She takes several deep breaths through her nose, her chest rising as she does and not soon after her eyes are dry again. I watch her look down at her fingers and trace over the new formed line on her wrist, my heart aching from the sight of it. Her eye brows are pulled together in thought and I desperately want to know what she’s thinking. I want to know how she is feeling right now, or better yet I want to know what exactly happened to her mum. Surely there has to be a reason behind her death.

“Can I ask you something?” I ask before I even have the chance to think it over.

“Yeah.”  She plays with her fingers.

“What exactly happened…to her?” I ask cautiously.

Kay looks down at the ground, her hair falling around her face. “I don’t know.”

“You don’t know?”

“No,” She kicks the carpet with her big toe. “The man on the phone said she was sick.”

“That’s all he told you?” I ask.

“He told me other stuff. But with her…he said she was sick. And that there’s more to the story, he just didn’t think it was a good idea to tell me over the phone.”

“So then are you going to go see him?”

“I’m not sure.” She says softly.

“Kay, you need to know what happened. I think you should go.” I try to convince her.

She kicks the carpet harder and she intertwines her hands together, squeezing them tightly. “It’s not that I don’t want to know what happened, trust me I do. It’s just the other stuff.”

“What other stuff?” I ask, tilting my head so I can get a better  look at her face.

Kay twists her lips to the side and bites her cheek before answering. “My mom had life insurance or something, and a will I don’t know.”

“Okay…” I wait for her to continue.

“He said she left something for me.”

“Which is what?”

“I don’t know.” She places her hands flatly on her thighs. “But he did tell me she left me something else too.”

“What is it?”

Kay looks at me sideways while pushing her hair behind her ear. “Her house.”

I nod. I guess that was a good thing. “That’s good right?”

Kay’s cheeks suddenly redden and she looks at everything else in the room but me. “No. I don’t want it.”

“Why not? It was your mothers.”

“Because Harry.” Her throat moves as she swallows and she looks down to hide her face from me. “It was the same house I grew up in.”

Fuck. “Oh.” I’m such an idiot.

“Yeah.”

I place my hand on top of her thigh and move it in slow comforting circles. She doesn’t move to push it away but instead stares at it, then places one of her own hands on top of mine.

“You should go see the guy, just to see what he has to say.”

“I don’t think I really have a choice.” She holds my hand in hers and I can feel her shaking slightly. “There’s no one else who is going to take care of this, so it has to be.”

“When are you going to go?”

“Tomorrow.”

I squeeze her hand in hoping it comforts her, and by the way her shoulders relax it seems to do just that. “I could come with you?” I offer.

“No, I want to go alone.” When I don’t say anything she leans her head on my shoulder and hugs my arm to her chest. “Thank you though, for offering. “

“The offer still stands if you change your mind.”

Kay tilts her head up and leaves a small kiss on my jaw before she gets up and walks to the other side to pick up her shoes, sliding her feet in them.

“Where are you going?” I ask curiously.

“I have work.”

“Do you really think you should go?” I ask worriedly.

“I’m fine.”  She states.

“Are you sure? If you’re upset you should just stay here.”

“Harry, I’m fine.” She argues and picks up her purse. “I’ll see you when I get back.” She says dismissively  and moves towards the doorway without giving me a second look, but she didn’t have to. I was able to see the stiff set of her shoulders and her sullen expression, along with the way her eyes look like they are starting to lose a little bit of life, and hope.