Chapter 51

Saturday, May 7th, 2016

Bey's POV

"Listen up, ladies." Coach said in the middle of the circle.

"We have two minutes left. That's it, two minutes. But dammit, girls. That's all we need! I told y'all that you would thank me for making you run and condition. She's tired." She pointed to the girl on the opposin' team.

"She's gonna miss both shots. We're fine, right?"

"Right." We all replied.

"We have two minutes to get eight points on that score board. Just because we want this win, doesn't mean they're going to give it to us. We've been playing their game for the entire game. It's time to play Crenshaw Lady Cougar ball."

I looked at my teammates as they were all listenin' attentively.

"When she misses the second shot, Kelly, you rebound. As soon as she misses the shot, I want you running down the court for offense. As long as the clock is ticking, you're running or your hands are moving for a steal. Two minutes ladies. Let's take this home."

"Hands in." I said. "Team work."

"Dream work!!"

That was it. Our full timeout was over. It's either now or never. We're down seven points. Seventy to seventy-seven. It has been a tough game. We're fightin' extremely hard. I have three fouls, two of which were bullshit but whatever.

This team has only lost two games. They're basically undefeated. They're from San Clemente, Califorina. That's a long way from the hood of South Central, Los Angeles. From what I Googled, it's a beautiful city. It's rich a Long Beach, just wit' all white people.

We're playin' at Cal State Dominguez Hills, a school that I might be goin' to. Our team has so much support. From friends, to family, to classmates, to teachers. Anyone we could think of, they're in the bleachers. I wish my parents were to watch me play but there is nothin' I can do about that.

We lined up under the basket. Kelly is directly under the basket. I'm on the opposite side, the third person. I'm ready for Kelly rebound the second miss. Coach is right, she's way too tired. She's gonna miss at less one of the baskets. Aja is across from me, Irene is the fourth person on my side.

The ref bounced passed the ball to her, number seven. We all just relaxed as she dribbled the ball. Number seven bent her knees, as she tried to focus on makin' the basket. The ball left her fingertips and into the air. Our eyes traveled and followed the ball.

Backboard. Swish. She made it.

Shit! Crenshaw fans sighed and cursed, while *they* cheered and basically turnt up.

"Box out ladies!" I said to my girls. I have faith in Kelly. There is no way that she won't get the rebound. She's aggressive. She's got this.

We all boxed out, as number seven prepared herself to shoot the ball. Again, the ball left her fingertips and flew to the basket.

Brick.

The ball bounced off of the rim, and like a Cougar, Kelly pounced on that ball. Clockwork, we jetted down the court. Aja and I were the ones ahead.

"Ball, ball, ball!" Aja called for the ball. Kelly launched the ball down to Aja after fightin' for freedom from her defender. I didn't have to call for the ball, because Aja knew to jump into weave drill. I got the ball in my hands, and I dribbled as I ran a little. Aja was still open, it was all her.

Layup. Seventy-two to Seventy-eight.

Crenshaw fans clapped and cheered all types of different things. It's so loud in this gym. Like coach taught us, we acted like we're in the lead. I know that all of us want to cheer and celebrate the new points, but we have to stay focused.