Chapter 35

Shawn's POV

"So, who's your friend?" My Dad asked as we sat on the couch. There were two couches- hella expensive couches! Hella comfortable. His livin' legit looked like it was in the Ikea magazine or something. Nah, Ikea doesn't do it justice.

The couches were across from each other wit' a table in the middle of them. Me and BK sat one side while him and this lady sat on the other. She's most likely his girlfriend or somebody he's messin' wit'. This couldn't stay wit' one woman if his life depended on it. Whoever yelled "Mommy" when she opened the door is probably her kid.

I looked at BK and smiled. "This is my girlfriend, Beyoncé."

"Hi." BK greeted wit' a smile.

"Nice to meet you, Beyoncé." My Dad said.

"Nice to meet you, too."

"And this is my Wife, Carla." Wife? What the fuck? He couldn't treat my Mom the way she deserved, but he's married now? I was young but I remember the arguments between my parents. Him not wantin' to commit to my Mom a reacquirin' argument. Now he's somebody's husband.

"Hi." Carla waved and flashed a smile. Her smile seemed so fake. Either that or the shock of me bein' here was too much for her. I didn't even respond, but BK did.

"So, uhh." My Dad nervously cleared his throat. "How you been?" He wasn't even happy, excited, none of that shit. I didn't even get a hug, handshake, tap on shoulder. Nothin'. I didn't expect anything comin' here, but I'm here and it's weird that I didn't receive any of those things. I know that I would be happy to see my kid after so many years, regardless of why we were separated. It wouldn't how old or young they are. That's my kid! I get that I just showed up wit'out callin' or anything, but he was so dry. And it was almost like he didn't care that I was here. Like he was content wit' me not bein' his life.

"I'm doin' good, considerin'.. What about you?"

"I'm alright." He shrugged his shoulders. "I can't complain."

"Yeah, I bet."

"What'chu mean?"

"I bet you don't have anything to complain about. You have a nice house. There's like three cars in the driveway. Your bills get paid on time. I'm sure your fridge and cabinets stay stocked."

"I worked hard to have all of this stuff." He replied as if I offended him or something. I brushed it off, though.

"Worked? You're not in the streets anymore?"

"Nah. I gave it up years ago."

"So how do you manage all of this?"

"Investments."

"Oh, I guess that's smart."

"So, uhh. You still..uhh..wit' your grandmother?"

"Yeah, I am."

"Where is she?" He asked.

"Back in LA."

"Does she know that you're here?"

"Yeah, she paid for it."

"Oh, okay.. What.." He hesitated. "Uhh.. are you uhh.. doin' here?"

"What you mean?" I kinda frowned. What kinda question is that? "I came to see you."

"No, I mean.. It's been so long and this is very sudden."

"I wanted it to be a surprise."

He chuckled. "I'm very surprised."