Chapter 8

Eight points. Eight fucking points. I have eight got damn points, and five turn overs. This is some bullshit! Not to mention, I got a fucking tech. Something about me blowing my breath and telling the ref to open his eyes. Coach took me right out and sat me down for a whole five minutes. I'm too upset, because we're down by eleven.

I'm mad for a number of reasons. One, my mom didn't come. There's a shocker, right. Matt is mad at me. I wanna slap the fuck out of his hoe ass girlfriend, but what else is new? This stupid ass freshmen scuffed my sneaks this morning. That bastard!

Right now, it's half time. We're heading back to locker room. I'm walking behind everyone. It sucks, because I feel like everyone is expecting me to get this win. That's a lot of pressure. I'm not Kobe Bryant or Lebron James. I know that I'm the captain, and I need to encourage my team.

"Beyoncé." Coach stopped me from walking in the locker room.

"Huh?"

"What's wrong?"

"What do you mean?"

"Don't ask me questions that you already know the answers to."

I shrugged, then looked down at the floor. "I don't know." For some reason, I begin to cry silently So much is weighing on my shoulders, this shit is stressful.

"Hey." She lifted my chin up. "Whatever it is. Let it go. It isn't about winning or losing. This is about the college coaches in the bleachers that came here to watch you. This is it. Now or never. You have what it takes, but you need to showcase it."

"I know, but it's just hard to focus right now-"

"You want a scholarship, right?"

I sighed. ".. Yes."

"Act like it. The girls are feeding off of your energy. They want a scholarship, too. Push whatever BS is twerking in your head, to the back." I giggled. "Don't hold back. Get your scholarship. I'll give you two minutes to get yourself together. When you come back, talk to your team."

"Kay." I wiped my face, and coach went into the locker room. Usually coaches talk to their team, I have no idea why coach had me doing this. But, whatever. I took a deep breath and wiped my face before going back into the locker room.

"Y'all.." I stood in the middle of the girls. "They aren't that good." We're playing Long Beach Polytechnic, better known as Poly.

"Ain't they winning, doe?" Desiree questioned causing a few of the girls to laugh. I just looked at her, she can never be serious when needed.

"Hush, man." Tatey said. "Be serious, for real."

"Like I was saying.. We're all slacking in some shape, way, or form. No one is communicating, especially me. Every minute the clock is ticking, we need to be running and moving. No one should be standing still. This game means more to us, as far as us seniors. If you have the shot, then take it."

The girls gave me the same look they give coach. I knew they were actually listening this time.

"We need to run the triangle offense." A freshmen, Ariana, suggested.

"Girl.. Do we look like Shaq, Kobe, and Fisher to you?" Aja, a junior, asked. I wanted to laugh but I couldn't. I had to lead by example.

"You better act like it." Coach shouted from the other end of the locker room. We all laughed. We didn't even think that she was listening to us.

"The turns overs are killing us, most of them are by me. We need to force them and not cause them. We had a great game on Wednesday, lets have an even better game tonight." I finished.bThe girls stood up and formed a circle.