Chapter 44

Saturday, February 27th, 2016.

Bey's POV

"You didn't have to." I told Shawn once I was comfortable in my bed again. He helped me to the bathroom and helped me get back in the bed. I called him earlier this mornin' and he actually agreed to comin' by. He arrived while Matt and Solange were here. While the three of us held a conversation, Shawn chimed in a few times. He was so awkward and standoffish, but no one said anything about it. I'm probably the only one that noticed it. I swear that he didn't wanna be here for whatever reason.

"What?" He asked.

"If you really didn't want to come, you didn't have to."

"It's not that I didn't want to. I've just...been busy."

"Too busy for your girlfriend?" I questioned calmly. I knew that I would ask this question at some point, but I expected myself to be more aggressive. Maybe not aggressive, but definitely not as calm as I am.

"No. We've talked." He pointed out, but I shook my head, and he closed his mouth just when he was gonna say something else. Whatever it was, he was wrong about it.

"I can count on how many times I've seen you in these past weeks on one hand. We haven't even talked."

"Oh I didn't hit you up?" He questioned as if I were wrong about what I said. As if I were wrong for even mentionin' it. As if I offended him. "I never called you?"

"Not like you should have." At first, Shawn was wit' me everyday 'til visitin' hours were over. He stopped callin' me in the mornin' before goin' to school. He stopped textin' me throughout the day. I mean, not completely, but it came down to one day or two days outta seven days. The way he talked to me, the feel of our conversation, it was like he just stopped carin'. Checkin' on me was just an obligation.

It hurts, simply because I know that I'd continue to be by his side if he had gotten hurt in any way. Regardless of what he did or didn't do, I'd be right next to him for support because I care so deep for him. And I know he would need and want that. I'd push everything to the side and just be there to hold his hand. It doesn't necessarily have to be because I'm his girlfriend. As a friend I'd do everything I can to be there for him. As a friend because that's what we were in the very beginnin'. I'd do it for anyone that I care about. But, that's just me, I guess.

"No, not like you wanted me to." He said. "But I did. I came to visit you. I called you. I texted you. Don't act like that, BK."

"Act like what?" I asked frownin', not understandin' anything he just said in the last thirty seconds. "Like I want to see my boyfriend? Like I want your support?"

"Alright, but don't disregard the fact I've reached out to you. I've been here to see you. It's not everyday like you wanted, but I did."

"Why didn't you?"

"Why didn't I hit you up everyday?"

"Yes."

"I told you... I've been busy."

"Busy? Busy doin' what?"

"School, basketball, and.. stuff." He hesitated.

"And stuff? What does that mean?" He didn't say anything. He just looked at me as if he didn't know what to say next.

"Does 'stuff' mean other girls?" I tried to shake the idea of him cheatin' on me, but I honestly can't. I want to hate myself for thinkin' that someone else may have his attention, but I don't think it's too far fetched. Shawn was by my bed side one day and the next he wasn't. He stopped checkin' on me like he was and whenever we talk, I get this distant vibe from him. He once was super interested in how I'm doin' and my healin' process. Constantly tellin' me that I'm gonna get better, pray, God's got me. All of these really great things! I get like...three word answers now. He always has something to say, he talks so much. But now? No.