Chapter Fifteen - Waiting 2.0

Amanda's P.O.V.

We were all still waiting for Carl to get better and to be able to walk around and get back to his old self. Patricia was devastated to hear about Otis. She cried all night long. I felt bad for her. It reminded me of when I lost my mom. I was the exact same way as her.

We were outside piling rocks by a tree in honor of Otis's memory. Lori and Rick were still inside with Carl. He would wake up occasionally and talk to us, but a minute later he would pass out again. Beth lent me a pair of shorts and a tank top to wear since all of my clothes were in the RV. She's small so her stuff fit me pretty good. I'm glad she did because it's freaking hot today.

We looked up and saw Daryl on his motorcycle and the RV coming up to the house. Maybe they found Sophia!

They pulled up and I ran to the RV and saw Andrea, Carol, and Dale walk out. I looked around to see Sophia, but she wasn't there.

"You didn't find her?" I asked Andrea quietly.

She shook her head. Crap. She put her hand on my shoulder and led me to the house. Rick and Lori ran out of the house to see the others.

"How is he?" Dale asked.

"He'll pull through. Thanks to Hershel and his people." Lori smiled.

"And Shane. Carl wouldn't have lived if it wasn't for him." Rick said.

Oh I forgot to mention, my dad shaved his head. Like all of his hair is gone. He was wearing Otis's old clothes and the were really big on him. Everytime I look at him, I try not to laugh.

Dale went up to Rick and hugged him and Carol did the same to Lori. What really surprised me was that Daryl came up to me and picked me up and squeezed me. It made me laugh so hard.

"Are you going to live now? Did you kiss all of his boo boo's?" He teased.

"Shut up!" I giggled and everybody was laughing with me. He put me down and walked up to my dad and started talking to him.

"How did it happen?" Carol asked.

"Hunting accident. That's all, just a stupid accident."

We all walked over to Otis's grave and stood in silence. I stood between Glenn and Daryl as Hershel began the funeral.

"Blessed be God. Father of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Praise be to him for the gift of our brother Otis. For his span of years. For his abundance of character. Otis, who gave his life to save a child's. Now, our most precious asset. We thank you God for the peace he enjoys to embrace. He died as he lived, in grace. Shane, will you speak for Otis?"

We all looked at my dad and he made up some excuse saying he's not good at it. Seriously, it's a funeral. Do it for them.

"You were the last one with him. Will you share his final moments? Please. I need to know. I need to know his death had meaning." Patricia cried while Maggie put her hand on her shoulder.

My dad stood there for a moment and took a deep breath.

"We were about done. Almost out of ammo. I was limping, it was bad. Ankle was all swollen up. We gotta save the boy. See that's what he said. He gave me his backpack and he shoved me ahead. Run he said. He said I'll take the rear, I'll cover you. And when I look back.."

He stopped for a moment and started walking towards Otis's grave.

"If not for Otis, I'd never made it out alive. And that goes for Carl too. It was Otis. He saved us both."

I looked at my dad's face and I could only see one thing on it. Lies. I didn't believe a word he said to be honest. Just by the way he looked and told the story. I can just tell. He looked away from everyone and limped back to the house.