Chapter One - Bad News And Running.

Amanda's P.O.V

I sat in class passing notes with Carl. I was anxiously waiting for the end of the day to get here. I really hope Dad can pick me up from school today. He always says he will but then Lori, Carl's mom, ends up driving me home instead. But hey, I guess that's what happens when your dad's a cop.

I looked up and saw Carl with a concerned look on his face. I looked down and saw that I still had the note. I unfolded it and it read-

Are you ok?

I picked up my pencil and wrote-

I just really hope my dad is here today to pick me up.

I passed the note back to Carl. He read it and gave me a cute smile. Wait cute?

Then the bell rang. I ran to my locker and grabbed my bag and started putting my stuff in it as fast as I could. I then felt someone poke my shoulder.

"Hey!" Carl said.

"Hi." I told him.

"Hey, you never know you're dad might be here today."

"I hope so. It just bugs me because he always promises me but he's never there." I said.

Carl put his arm around my shoulders and we walked out of school together. I looked around and saw Lori and right next to her was the person that just made my day. My dad. I ran up to him and gave him a big hug.

"Dad! You're here! You're actually here!" I said.

"Yeah I promised didn't I?" He said. He didn't look so happy.

"Dad is something wrong?" I asked.

He didn't answer. He looked back at Carl and saw Lori talking to him about something. That's when I noticed Carl was crying.

"Dad what happened?" I asked very concerned.

"Rick got shot today. We were on a police chase and one of the men in the car shot him when he wasn't watching."

I gasped. I turned around and ran to Carl. I threw my arms around him and he hugged me back very tightly.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered.

He continued to sob into my shoulder. I looked at my dad and then Lori. She was crying too. It seemed like I hugged him forever and then we finally let go. I felt like crying with them. Rick was like my uncle. I have known him ever since I was born. It's just so hard to think something that bad would happen to him. I hugged Carl again and this time I started crying too.

A couple months passed since Rick got shot. He is in the hospital and is currently in a coma. We are all hoping he will wake up soon. I sat in my room and read my book for a while. I heard the door open downstairs and ran downstairs. My dad walked through the door and ran to the TV. He turned the TV on.

"Dad, what is it?" I asked.

"Come here and see this Amanda." He told me.

I looked at the TV screen and the news was on. The news person said-

"It seems like some sort of virus is spreading around and it is very dangerous. Folks you need to lock your doors and stay away from the people that are infected. Do not get bit you will die and become and infected person."

My eyes started tearing up.

"Dad.. Will that happen to us?" I asked him.

"Shh.. It's going to be ok." He said. He pulled me into a hug.

"Now why don't you go upstairs and go read some of your book and watch TV ok?" He asked me. "I will be down here if you need me."

I did what I was told and went to my room. I started watching some Glee on my TV. About an hour later my dad ran into my room.

"Amanda! You need to pack some clothes and some of the things you want to bring! We're leaving!" He said.

"Why? Dad you're really scaring me."

"The infected people. They are right outside. Hurry and pack your things! I'm going to go get some food, water, and weapons. You pack the clothes, blankets, and any other supplies ok? Alright we have to hurry Amanda!" He said.

I ran to my closet and grabbed my bags and started throwing clothes and my book inside. I ran to the bathroom and grabbed our toothbrushes and toothpaste. I also got the shampoo, conditioner, and body wash just in case.

I then ran into my dads room and threw clothes and his stuff in bags too.

"Amanda! We have to go!" I heard my dad yell. I grabbed our bags and ran downstairs.

My dad gave me a knife.

"If one gets close to you, stab them you understand?" He told me.

I nodded. He opened the door and we ran outside. There were tons of them on the streets. We ran to the car and my dad opened the trunk. He started throwing the bags in the car. I turned around and saw one coming towards me. I took my knife and stabbed it in the head. It fell down and I stared at it.

"Amanda! Come on! We have to go!" My dad yelled.

I jumped in the back and we took off. I looked back at my house. Those things started going inside and taking over it. I felt like crying but my tears wouldn't come up.

"Where are we going?" I asked my dad.

"We are going to get Carl and Lori." My dad said.

"What about Rick?" I asked.

My dad put his head down and I knew what he meant. I felt like crying even more. What are we going to tell Carl and Lori?

We reached their house and they ran outside with their bags. They jumped into the car and we drove to the highway. Carl had a worried look.

"What about my dad?" he asked.

Lori looked at my dad with a concerned look. We both put our heads down in sadness. They both started to cry and I hugged Carl and comforted him. I looked out the window and the world felt so different. It's strange how our lives changed so quickly.