EPILOGUE: Bruce Banner

Bruce slowly woke up, the bright rays of sunlight blinding him. This was the day that he would finally get to go home. He’d been waiting for months for this day and it had finally arrived after what seemed like eternity. Bruce sat up quickly, excited to take on the day, excited to get on the jet that Tony had sent and finally fly home. He wasn’t overly fond of the British Columbia and, though it held a few amazing memories, he wanted to go back home.

He wanted to go back to New York desperately. He didn’t mind being there in the Columbia, but he just wanted to go back to the one place he knew that he belonged. He wanted to see how Pepper was doing, too, since Tony had went ahead and used the antidote to the Extremis virus without him. He wanted to see his other teammates again. He wanted to see Ororo and T’Challa’s children being born, since he had been their doctor for the first month. He just wanted to be there again.

But there were a few things that he’d miss. There was no fear of hurting someone if he got too angry, though he didn’t even fear getting too angry there. He was going to miss the long nights when he and Betty stayed up and talked. He was going to miss just being with Betty Ross and only Betty Ross. He didn’t need anybody else and he knew that the solitude with her would be over when they returned. But honestly, those few benefits weren’t worth staying there another second.

Sitting up in bed, Bruce stretched out, letting out a long, exaggerated yawn. The doctor looked around and found Betty sitting in the chair next to the large window, reading something. She noticed that he was awake and looked up, smiling up at him. Her hair was tied up in a ponytail and she wore a pair of jeans and an oversized shirt. Despite the fact that she looked exhausted, she still looked like the most exquisite woman in the universe.

Betty had really excelled in the past months. Both of them had. The two of them could trigger the Hulk Outs and sometimes, if they were lucky, they could control when they shrunk back down. Despite the fact that the beast inside of Betty was red and a bit more violent than the beast inside of Bruce, she was still in control for the most part. She could fight the Hulk Outs without so much pain now and she was really getting a lot better with it.

The past eight months had been full of training during the day, but at night things were different. The two of them would spend the long nights curled up next to the fire, talking for hours. They were happy for the most part, although the training did get to be a bit much for both of them. But either way they were happy together. Bruce knew that they were going to spend the rest of their lives happy together. He knew that things would surely get rough, but he didn’t care.

Bruce’s house was small, just a small cabin with a couple of rooms, but the fields outside those doors were endless. They stretched for miles and miles, far away from civilization, which was perfect. They hadn’t had a single run in with a village or even another person. The best part was that, even though they were far from society, they weren’t completely cut off. The Avengers were still there through letters, phone calls, and even the occasional video call. It really wasn’t as bad as many would’ve thought.

But he still wanted to go home.

Bruce sat with his knees in his bare chest, curling up there, cold. Although it was already closing in on May, it was still cold in their little house. The doctor sat there, staring at his beautiful bride-to-be as she turned back to her book with a small smile on her lips. In general, Betty was doing fantastic in life. The scars from the wounds she’d inflicted upon herself were still there, but they had healed. They’d stopped hurting her. He was glad that she’d not let that one night bind her, make her feel useless. He was so grateful that she’d managed to move on from that.

Betty must have noticed his staring because she looked up at him, a bit confused. Bruce turned his face away, his cheeks turning a bright shade of red, feeling a bit embarrassed. She chuckled just a little bit, sensing his discomfort, sensing his embarrassment. Bruce stared down at his hands as he twiddled his thumbs, burying his face into his knees again.