Loki

Loki Laufeyson quietly walked through the cold, barren universe he had just entered. If this was Bruce Banner’s brain, he couldn’t tell. It was a cold, barren wasteland, and it reminded him of Jotunheim. Ice filled the room, the temperature far below freezing. There was definitely a Frost Giant wherever he was. He wasn’t sure where he was, but he knew that there had at least been a Frost Giant here before. He had no idea where he was, but he had a feeling that there was someone in there with him. He sensed that he was not alone. “Reveal thyself!” Loki cried out, looking for someone, anyone. There was nothing but cold silence.

Loki looked around. It was a cold, barren room. A throne sat in the midst of that room. Whoever was here, whether he be still there or whether he had fled to Jotunheim, had planned to be staying for a while. Loki was nearly certain this was Jotun royalty, and not just a disposable spy. Whoever had come, he had come for a purpose, and Loki had a feeling that he was that purpose. “Reveal thyself and fight, you pathetic, cowardly, mewling quim!” Loki shouted in rage.

“Loki Laufeyson... I was not expecting you to penetrate my hiding place. How did you get here?” a quiet, menacing voice whispered, echoing through the cold.

“Who art thou?”

“A friend.”

“You are not any friend of mine. My friends do not possess innocent mortals. Now who art thou?”

An evil laugh filled the room.

“TELL ME!!!”

“Helblindi Laufeyson.”

“Another brother of mine, am I correct? You are another brother I never knew I had.”

“Yes. And I have come to take you home.”

“How did you plan to do that by taking over Bruce Banner?”

“This is only a hiding place and a distraction. I planned to unleash the Hulk and while they were all fighting it… I would find you and take you back to Jotunheim, where you belong.”

“The only places I belong are on Midgard and on Asgard. Jotunheim is not home and it never has been.”

A tall Frost Giant slowly crept out from behind a corner, narrowing its red eyes. Its blue skin and red eyes made it menacing, horrifying. Loki quickly let himself turn the same, preparing for the battle he knew would come. Helblindi reminded Loki of himself, the sickening revelation that he too was one of them. He’d never gotten over the fact that he was one of those beasts, and though he’d forgiven Odin for keeping the truth from him, a part of him could not let go that he was born of his realm’s enemy.

The conversation that confirmed that he was a Frost Giant continued to haunt him, though it had been years since he’d learned. He could remember it all, every word and every move. He could remember touching the Casket for the first time. He could hear his conversation of confirmation as well as the day it happened. He could hear it again, just like he almost always could when he let himself transform into the monster he truly was. “Stop!” he heard his father shout.

“Am I cursed?” Loki heard his own voice say.

“No.”

“What am I?”

“You are my son.”

“What more than that? The Casket wasn’t the only thing you took from Jotunheim that day, was it?”

“No. In the aftermath of the battle, I went into the temple, and I found a baby. Small for a giant’s offspring. Abandoned. Suffering. Left to die. Laufey’s son.”

“Laufey’s son?”

“Yes.”

“Why? You were knee-deep in Jotun blood. Why would you take me?”