T'Challa

The king of Wakanda sat at a table, holding his wife’s hand as they talked. They’d been discussing baby names again for the past twenty minutes, and for the first time in the past few hours, silence fell across them. But it wasn’t the bad type of silence. It was a nice silence, a silence that both of them felt totally comfortable in. He smiled at her as she stared at him, brushing her long, white hair behind her ears.

After all that had happened, T’Challa was surprised that both of them were okay through all of this. Ororo was a bit shaken up about Deadpool’s death, which wasn’t surprising, considering that they’d been friends. Plus, with the branding on her hip, she was in a good deal of pain. T’Challa’s arm had been wounded, shot at by the Mad Thinker, but he’d gotten it stitched up back on the Helicarrier. It was still sore, but he knew he’d be alright. It’d only grazed his bicep, nothing too damaging. But the king of Wakanda was honestly quite surprised on how few emotional scars they’d ended up with. He was expecting more. But he wasn’t complaining. He was not complaining at all. He considered himself lucky.

The queen and king hadn’t really spoken much about the past few weeks in their time at that little table. They’d talked about the delicious food that they’d gotten and how much of it that Ororo had eaten. They’d talked and laughed about things that really weren’t relevant, but they’d been good for chit chat. They’d gone over baby names, only picking out the girl names and not being able to decide on the names for boys. They’d eventually come up with Azari, T’Chaka, and Castiel. They hadn’t been able to agree on any more than that. Honestly, T’Challa liked Castiel the most out of all of them. He liked Azari because they’d agreed on that one years before, but it wasn’t what he really wanted. T’Chaka made him think of his father, since it was his father’s name, and he only felt sadness. He missed his father desperately and he really didn’t want the daily reminder, but he still wanted to honor his father’s memory. But Castiel was perfect. It was the name of an angel, a fallen angel. Of course, this angel was fictional, only existing in the world of Supernatural, but he still loved the name.

But it didn’t matter at the moment. They still had a good nine months until their babies were born, and they had plenty of time to think. T’Challa really was looking forward to the next nine months to be honest, though there was a certain part of him that dreaded it. He was afraid that he’d not make a suitable father, terrified that he’d fail his children, his wife, his family. But that didn’t change the fact that he was excited for their birth. And either way, he’d still have a good, long nine months of mental preparation.

The music blared throughout the room and all of the Avengers seemed to be dancing to the music. All of them had gotten out on the dance floor at one point in the night, that is, except for the Wakandan couple. They’d not set foot on the dance floor, not yet anyways. But the night was still young, it only just getting to be six o’clock at night. They still had the rest of the night. They just hadn’t been up for it yet.

T’Challa knew that Ororo really wasn’t up for dancing, not that night. Her burn wound from the Mad Thinker was still incredibly sore, still burning painfully beneath her dress. She had been keeping an icepack that she’d found in the kitchen on the wound for the reception, not daring to take it off. It was obviously causing her a great deal of pain and T’Challa hated himself for not being able to stop it from happening in the first place. If only the Panther had gotten back up sooner. If only he’d been able to overcome the Thinker’s force. Then the wound wouldn’t even be there.

T’Challa was worried about the quadruplets. After all that their mother had been through in the past few hours, he was scared that they’d been hurt or even killed. She had been through fights and torture and torment, something that would exhaust anybody. But she was pregnant and she had to be terribly exhausted from it, yet she still stayed awake. That was just a bit of a shock, considering how easily worn out she’d been in the past few days.