Helicarrier

Nick Fury strode through the rooms of the Helicarrier, hurrying past his beloved agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. He was heading toward that window of his, the place that he stood whenever he felt that he’d accomplished something. He walked briskly toward it, his hands shoved in the pockets of his long trench-coat. He walked past everyone, not making eye-contact for a second.

Finally, the eye-patched director of the Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement and Logistics Division reached his destination. He stared out onto the clear blue ocean, the sun glinting off of it, shining brightly in his eye. He didn’t mind though. He just needed to clear his thoughts, to put the puzzle pieces back together. He stared down into Manhattan. There were so many people there that had been saved.

It’d been 2 days since this battle. 2 days since the Mad Thinker had been locked away. 2 days since Stark had gotten married. 2 days since the Avengers had left the Helicarrier. Fury had a feeling that they’d not be coming back, not any time soon anyways. They were their own team now. They weren’t going to be bossed around by S.H.I.E.L.D anymore, but they were still going to always defend the earth when the need arose. Director Nick Fury knew that he could rely on the Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. He knew that he could put his faith and trust in the Avengers Initiative.

As Fury stood there, staring out of that big glass window, he heard two pairs of footsteps approaching behind him. He knew those footsteps. They were the footsteps of Agents Hill and Coulson. Ever since this newest battle had ended, those two had been inseparable. They went everywhere together, Hill usually trailing after Coulson. Not because she had to, because she wanted to. She was afraid. She was afraid that if she let him out of her sight, then he’d die again. She was terrified about that. Fury could tell.

“Good morning, Director.” Phil greeted, sipping at a coffee.

“Morning, Coulson. Hill.” Fury replied, not looking at them.

“War’s over… What now?” Hill asked.

“We do the same thing we did last time. We clean up and move on.”

“And what about the Avengers? What do we do about them?”

“What about them? They’re not in our hands anymore, Hill. They’re their own team now. They did all of this without us. All we had to do was give them the little push.”

“So, they’re on their own now?”

“Appears that way.”

“What if we face another threat like this one?”

“They’ll fix it. They’re heroes. They protect people. They won’t let us down, Hill.”

Agent Hill nodded, looking down at her feet. Coulson stood next to Fury, sipping at his coffee, staring out the window with Director Fury. As Fury stared out that window, he put his faith in the Avengers, knowing that they’d protect this Earth with their dying breaths. They were fighters. Heroes. They weren’t going to let him down. They weren’t going to let anyone down. They were heroes and they were going to fight.

Or so the Director thought.

He didn’t know what the Mad Thinker was planning. He didn’t know that in just a matter of months, the Thinker would come back and he was not going to fail this time. He was determined to win this time, to complete what he’d started. As the man sat in his cell, staring at the floor, he looked up with a devious grin on his face. He could hear and see everything that went on upstairs with the Director and his faithful agents. He was able to break through these petty barriers that wanted to block his power. He smirked at them, knowing how terribly wrong they were.

S.H.I.E.L.D first.

Then New York.

Then Midgard.

Then all the nine realms.

They’d all fall before him. They’d all kneel before him.

He wasn’t backing down. Not any time soon.

He was going to win.

End of Book 1