Betty Ross

Betty Ross woke up, sick and horrified. She unconsciously forced her fists to clench shut. Her eyes shot open, her heart hammering in her chest, pounding loudly in her ears, holding her back, giving her no escape. She grabbed the sheets and held them tightly in her clenched fists, refusing to let go. Haunting memories had flashed in her sleep and she was horrified. Every muscle in her body ached unmercifully. She wanted Bruce, but she had no idea where he was. Her mind, still drugged by the effects of the gamma, was fogged, her perception blurred.

There was something off about her, but she couldn’t quite put her finger on it. It felt like acid was soaring through her veins instead of blood, every inch of her sore and tingling. She clutched the covers even harder, struggling to get a grip on reality. Everything was a blur and the room slowly turned, making her dizzy. She clamped her eyes shut, but there she was greeted by flashes of whatever had happened, but not enough to make anything out of it She was greeted by familiar noise that she couldn’t comprehend, blurring everything, making it impossible to derive anything from the flashes. She forced her eyes open, where she was greeted by the hard hit of reality, the agonizing pain in her muscles and the reality that she was now no longer who she was, but that she was something more, something terrifying.

She wanted Bruce to be sitting at her side like she’d always done with him, but she figured he was still sleeping. She didn’t know what time it was or what day it was, but she didn’t particularly care. She wanted to know how many people she’d hurt, or maybe even killed. She wanted the pain to cease and the noise to stop and the acid in her veins to disappear. She didn’t want to go back to what she’d been, but she wanted to move on and live. She wanted to be able to function, but the hammering of her heart and the static that filled her ears and her throbbing muscles told her otherwise.

She tried to think. She closed her eyes, seeing bits and pieces, flashes, images. But there was a lot of noise that filled her ears, a hallucination she was sure. Maybe they were shouts of panicked people, or screams of helpless victims, but it really just sounded like a lot of static. There was too much of the noise and static to derive anything from the images. She opened her eyes once again, horror rushing through her veins, nothing making sense.

A gagging sound interrupted her horror, and she slowly turned her head toward the bathroom of her tiny room. Her neck was sore and her head throbbed, but curiosity overtook her pain. What was going on? Who was with her? Someone was throwing up in the bathroom. She didn’t know who it was, and she didn’t have enough energy to care.  Betty clamped her eyes shut again as she grabbed on tightly to her sheets, afraid that if she let go then she’d go She-Hulk again. She closed her eyes, even her eyelids aching unmercifully. She heard the soft sound of running water from the faucet in the bathroom, giving not quite comfort but telling her that she hadn’t destroyed everything.

Betty took a deep breath. She listened to the water running, but the gentle sound suddenly turned to the shooting of missals and bullets, all aimed at her. She could see them, the visions vaguely familiar. That must have been what happened. The visions horrified her, forcing her into a fetal position, despite her muscles, which screamed in agony. Betty let out a bloodcurdling scream against her will, no longer able to force it back.

The visions ceased at her scream, but she still lay there, motionless under the thick sheets. She heard the water stop running and footsteps come closer. She didn’t turn. Instead she clenched the sheets, loosening and tightening her grip with every shallow breath. She struggled to piece together what had happened the day earlier. The last thing that she could remember was the exhilarating rush of strength she’d had when the gamma had first entered her body. After that everything turned to a blur. It really did feel the way Bruce had described it. It felt like the induced hallucinations a thousand times amplified, only the hallucinations were not induced, and they weren’t under control. She couldn’t remember the transformation. Had it hurt? She didn’t know, and she supposed it didn’t matter…