EPILOGUE: Thor

The king of Asgard sat in the courtyard, staring out at the garden that Jane had managed to grow in a day using magic. She had truly excelled in the past months, even though she was still only a Midgardian. The two of them had decided that it’d be best to wait until they were married to turn her into an Asgardian, and since the wedding was still about a month away, they still had a little time to go.

The last eight months had been a time of peace for all of Asgard, including the royal family. Loki and Amora were inseparable, but they weren’t anything like a typical couple, not that Thor expected that from the two mischievous Asgardians. The two weren’t really very romantic with each other, but it was obvious that they loved each other. Thor and Jane, on the other hand, had been planning their wedding and each day was filled with some romance for them.

Thor looked forward to his wedding probably more than anybody. The king could tell that his future queen was probably a bit nervous about all of it, though he wished that she wouldn’t be. The two had been planning for months and, though the couple had just wanted a quick, simple wedding, the high council of Asgard had insisted they do something more. It’d taken months of planning, but it was going to happen soon, and the king of Asgard couldn’t wait.

Aside from wedding plans, the past eight months had been relatively normal. No battles in the realms had ensued, and for the first time in a long time, there was peace across them. Thor had felt this weight had been lifted from his shoulders, like the weight of all nine realms no longer rested on him. They were all at peace and now he didn’t have to worry about all of the realms. He just had to worry about his own life at the moment, and that feeling was the best feeling he’d had in a long time.

After the battle against the Mad Thinker, it had become a sad time in Asgard, a sad time for the royal family. They’d been forced to bury Sleipnir and for awhile Loki had gone into a deep depression. He and Amora had talked about having another, something to sort of make up for Sleipnir’s death, but Loki had decided not to, knowing that nothing would replace his firstborn. They’d held a funeral for Odin too, though there was no body to even bury. That was the worst for Thor because, although he loved his nephew, Odin was his father. Odin had raised him. But all in all, that had been a painful time for them. But that was months ago.

Everything was really looking up. Hogun no longer lived on Asgard all the time since he’d returned to Vanaheim, his home realm, but he still visited often. Volstagg had gotten married a couple of weeks after the battle that they helped fight in, marrying one of Asgard’s finest warriors, Lorelei. Sif and Fandral had actually become a couple after awhile, which didn’t surprise Thor the slightest. Thor had actually gone and met his brothers, Tyr, Baldr, Vidar, and Hermod. He had invited them to live with him in the royal palace, but they’d decided to stay as they were. Things were looking up.

This was Thor’s last day on Asgard before he and his family went back to Midgard. They went back once a month and Thor made it possible so that the other Avengers could contact him at any needed time. He didn’t like being away from the Avengers for long since he had grown so attached to them. They were his family and he longed to be with them whenever he could. Although it’d only been a couple of weeks since his last visit, he wanted to be there for Bruce and Betty’s return. Also, Ororo’s due date was approaching and he wanted to be there for that as well.

As Thor sat there, he began to wonder if he and Jane would ever have children of their own. He doubted it. He doubted that they could. It’d be nearly impossible for her since she’d be carrying a child that was part Jotun. Even as an Asgardian, that would be nearly impossible. He didn’t mind though. He already had an enormous family, and he never really pictured himself as a father. It would be alright.

He was beginning to miss his bride-to-be in all honesty. The two hadn’t seen each other at all that day, other than when they’d first woken up. Thor had a meeting with the high council while Jane had an appointment with some of the healers about her transformation into an Asgardian. He’d wanted to go with her, but he’d had the meeting to attend, though it was boring, as always. After that, Jane was going to have lunch with Sif and Loki had wanted to discuss something with the king of Asgard. But Loki was, of course, running late.