Loki

Loki treaded over the frozen paths of Jotunheim, slowly making their way into the kingdom which he figured Helblindi was now ruling. Loki was completely comfortable walking in the icy winds, but his team was not as comfortable. He felt sympathy for his new allies, who had never felt anything like Jotunheim. He turned to them. They all shivered in the freezing cold, including Thor, who had been to Jotunheim many times before. He walked back and pulled Thor to the head of the crowd so the brothers could talk.

“So, I hear that you are going to become the Allfather if you can keep Asgard safe while Father falls into the Odinsleep.” Loki said.

“Yes… Please do not try to ruin it for me.” Thor said uneasily.

“Trust me, I will not. But are you sure you want to become the Allfather? The king of Asgard, I can understand. But why would you wish to be the Allfather?”

“Why would I not? You and I both know that I have always dreamed of following in Father’s footsteps and becoming Allfather one day. I will have unlimited power and the Odinforce and the throne… It will be spectacular.”

“Yes, but it comes with a price.”

“What price?”

“Well, with the gift of being the Allfather, you would also have to replenish that power…”

“You speak of the Odinsleep…”

“Yes.”

“Well, it is not that bad. I did not think of that… But it is only a week out of the year, and then I can continue with my life.”

“Yes, but you know that it is very dangerous. Laufey nearly killed our father… Of course, I was the one who brought him in… But Helblindi… He is smarter than Laufey, I can tell. He could easily sneak past the guards and kill you! I do not want that, Thor.”

“That is why I will trust you with the throne until I wake when the time does one day come.”

“You must really trust me then, don’t you?”

“Yes. I trust you with my life, Loki.”

Loki smiled and kept walking, happy that his brother really trusted him that much. Loki hadn’t really tried to talk Thor out of taking the position as Allfather, but he had told him the truth. Loki wondered how Jane would take the Odinsleep. Loki’s mother, Frigga, never had taken the Odinsleep very well. It always horrified her, seeing her husband so weak, vulnerable, and lifeless. It had scared Loki as well at a time, but it no longer scared him. Loki had never gotten used to seeing him that way, but it no longer scared him.

Loki doubted that Jane would take the Odinsleep well. No one ever took it well. Jane had never seen Thor weak, other than the time when Loki had used the Destroyer to backhand him and he nearly died or when Lucifer stabbed him through the chest. Those were the only times, and they only lasted mere minutes. He wondered if she could handle a week of him being vulnerable and weak, unable to move. Loki wondered how he would take that. Loki could not imagine his brother, the Mighty Thor, lying unconscious on a bed for a week…

“Hey! How much longer until we attack those Frost Giants? It’s cold! My armor is starting to freeze up.” Tony complained.

“We will reach the palace in half an hour or so, and if you would move quicker we could be there in fifteen minutes.” Thor answered.

Tony groaned as he activated a repulsor, not shooting it but instead using it for warmth. Ororo and Jan huddled close to him for warmth, the others wanting to prove that they were tough enough to handle the cold, even though they weren’t. Loki led them up the freezing mountain, heading for the top, where the kingdom stood. Loki felt perfectly comfortable, but the Migardians struggled to keep up. Suddenly something started to bug him. He wasn’t sure what it was or why, but something wasn’t right. Loki heard the wind splitting and he quickly turned. Soaring right at them were hundreds of shards of ice.