Natasha Romanoff

Natasha stood on a table, letting Tony inspect her. They’d fought off the Hulk Busters and they captured the Winter Soldier, who was apparently someone Steve knew somehow. Natasha and S.H.I.E.L.D had some dealings with the Winter Soldier, but they knew very little about him. They suspected he was working for HYDRA, but no one was too sure about him. Maybe having him captive would lead to answers about him, but Steve was determined to find out something more.

Natasha could only think of one thing, and that was Clint. He was all she’d thought about for the past few days. He was stuck in Jotunheim with Loki, and she prayed that he’d be back soon. She missed him, and though she was perfectly capable of taking care of herself, she wanted his company, to hold onto the first man she’d ever loved. She needed him in that moment, but Loki had told her that he’d been… Compromised. He’d been turned into a Frost Giant, or that was what Loki said. He told her that they’d return to the Helicarrier soon, and Natasha couldn’t help but wonder when soon was.

Tony had been helping Natasha for the past few days, ever since the day after they’d returned from Jotunheim. Thor had become the king of Asgard, so he had stayed there until the day earlier, when he returned for the battle against the Hulk Busters. He was going to help her find a cure, and Natasha refused to take no for an answer. She was going to find a cure, because she felt disgusted by herself if she didn’t. She figured that she’d never be able to live if she was consumed by this fire. She felt more energized than normal, but it felt like too much energy. She felt like she wanted to start running and then never ever stop. She struggled to even stand still, small, unnoticeable vibrations constantly coursing through her. She felt like she could burst into flames at any second, and that wasn’t even mentioning the fire…

Fire continued to shoot from her fingertips every time she found herself either angry or frustrated or excited or startled. She couldn’t focus enough to control it. It didn’t hurt her, but it was dangerous to be around her. She found herself growing angrier every time it happened. She felt like loneliness was going to become her only companion, because every time the fire shot from her hands she felt like she was becoming more and more of a threat.

Praying for some answers, Natasha stood with her arms out so that Stark’s scanner could evaluate her, so maybe it could help her. Tony had told her that she was only a hybrid, and that there was a possibility that she could still be easily cured. It was going to take a lot of work to help her, but Thor had returned to the Helicarrier, so there was still hope for her. A bright green light swept over her, scanning over her body. She was in a glass cage, Tony studying her like some sort of science project. She stood absolutely frozen, hoping for the best. She wanted answers and she wanted back to her old self. She could hardly stand the sight of herself, the monster she’d become.

“Alright, Miss Romanoff, you can come out. Come here. It’s really interesting, really.” Tony said. Natasha dropped her arms to her sides and reached down for her bracelets, which she’d had to take off. She opened the thin glass door as she tightened the bracelets, stepping into a small lab. Tony was knelt over a computer, typing furiously as he stared intently at the screen. Natasha made her way over to him, wondering what was so fascinating and wondering if there was any way for him to cure her.

She leaned down beside Tony, her hands resting on the chair. She looked at the screen and saw what appeared to be a diagram of her. Tony stared at it intently. “What is it?” Natasha asked him.

“Look at this.” Tony said.

He tapped the diagram and spun it around to the front. There was an orange mark on the chest, and it seemed to be sending out orange waves of energy throughout her entire body. “This appears to be the source of the power or whatever it is. If we destroy that, you should be fine… I hope.” Tony explained.