Bruce Banner

“Bruce. Bruce. Bruce! Bruce Banner, get your fat, green butt out of bed!” Bruce heard Betty say as she violently shook him back and forth. Bruce unconsciously batted her away and pulled the blanket over his head. Bruce felt her sit on the bed beside him. She put her hand on his shoulder and leaned in beside him. Bruce slowly pulled down the sheets to see what she wanted. He finally opened his eyes and saw an annoyed Betty looking back at him. “Up, you lazy, green bum!” Betty ordered.

Bruce pulled the blanket over his head again. He didn’t want to wake up. He was afraid that he would hear those sickening voices or the hallucinations. It felt like when he went Hulk, the hallucinations, the acid, only seeing fragments. He wasn’t sure what was wrong with him, but he knew that he was at least safe when he was sleeping, and he didn’t want to wake up. He closed his eyes and tried to fall back to sleep, but Betty ripped the blanket off of him.

Bruce finally sat up. He wasn’t sure whether he had gone Hulk or not. He couldn’t remember much. He rubbed his temples and fell back onto the bed. He hoped that he hadn’t gone Hulk. That just hurt everyone, and Bruce hated to hurt people. He felt like he had a demon inside of him, a demon that wanted to come out of him. He stared up at the ceiling. He felt sick. Why was this happening? The transformation that had happened a few days earlier was forced. Bruce knew there had to have been a connection.

Bruce looked down at himself. He was wearing the same clothes as he had been wearing the day before, which proved that he had not went Hulk on anyone. Then what had happened? He shook his head, trying to figure out the night’s events. He couldn’t piece it together. The gamma had never done that to him, and he knew that it couldn’t have been the Other Guy. “What happened?” he asked Betty.

“A Frost Giant tried to make a playground out of your brain. It’s over now though. You’re okay. Now get up. You’re going to Jotunheim today and your team is waiting on you.” Betty explained, dragging him off the bed.

“Jotunheim? The ice realm? Are you sure that’s a good idea?”

“Why wouldn’t it be?”

“How am I supposed to get home? They can’t control the Hulk… The Other Guy. I can’t control him. How am I even supposed to get back? If we take too long, he’ll black out and then I won’t be able to come home until I wake up…”

“We’ll figure it out Bruce.”

Bruce rolled out of bed and onto the floor. He shook his head, shaking his curly brown hair. He stood up and followed Betty to the corner of the room. She turned from her duffle bag and slammed some clothes into his arms. “This is for when you shrink back down, if you aren’t home by then. Give them to Tony and tell him to give them to you once you wake up. You’re not going around naked afterwards.” Betty instructed.

“I got it. I’m okay, Betty. And you do realize that I’m going to be doing this for you by this time next week, right?” Bruce replied.

“I have a feeling I’m going to be doing this for both of us.”

“Is that really what you want though?”

“Bruce… Stop it.”

“I’m just telling you what you’re about to do to yourself.”

“Bruce, I want this. Now let’s go!”

Betty started to walk past him, unwilling to hear the warning that Bruce was trying to give her. She started out the door, Bruce following her like a lost puppy. “Betty, wait.” He called after her. She turned around, expecting him to say something to her. He just walked up to her and kissed her gently. She didn’t pull away but didn’t kiss him back. He pulled away from her and waited for her response. “You’re still a lazy, green bum.” She said, laughing.