Ororo Munroe

Ororo felt the tears streaming down her cheeks, terrified by everything that was going on. She could feel her entire body shaking as she lay there on the bar, waiting for the Mad Thinker to come back, waiting for somebody to save her. She watched as the Mad Thinker walked out of the room, muttering a string of curses as he walked away from her. She could hear everything going on, everything taking place around her as she prayed silently to be released safely.

Suddenly, Ororo could hear the familiar screech of her husband, the familiar cry of agony. As it shifted into a deafening roar, she turned and watched as T’Challa shifted into the one and only Black Panther. He broke through his chains with ease and leaped into the air, landing on his four enormous black paws. He let out the loudest roar that Ororo had ever heard as he stretched out his neck, looking around.

She didn’t want this, knowing that T’Challa wasn’t in control of the Black Panther and who knew what he was capable of. He was obviously capable of doing a log of damage, destroying anyone who stood in his way. Ororo watched, her brow furrowed, her heart racing. He’d terrorized the Helicarrier just earlier that day and he was obviously capable of killing anyone. Could he possibly kill the Avengers? “No, T’Challa, please, no, not now. Please!” She begged.

He just replied with a deafening roar.

Ororo’s heart thudded quickly as she looked around, praying that T’Challa wouldn’t lose control. She breathed heavily, struggling to get enough air into her lungs, her heart hammering inside her chest. She tightened her hands into fists as the scratchy rope dug violently into her skin. She just wanted to be released so she could keep T’Challa calm.

Ororo was still getting used to the idea of T’Challa becoming a real panther when he was in imminent danger. It was helpful at times, yes, but it was also terrifying each time it happened. Were their children going to end up the same way, with a dangerous alter-ego like their father? Ororo was already nearly certain that all four would have some sort of mutation like her, and that worried her enough. She was practically certain that this would be a traumatic birth for her because of the enhanced mutations. It frightened her to no end, but the thought of her children having this alter-ego was even worse than that.

But that didn’t even begin to measure up to the fear she felt in that moment.

Ororo was never used to fear. Fear wasn’t a common emotion for her. She usually just accepted life as it came to her and she fought against what was not right and if it was her time to go, it would be her time to go. It wasn’t going to bother her the slightest and the only thing she feared about death was it taking the life of the ones she loved. But not anymore. In that moment, fear seethed from every inch of her, almost certain that her time had come and that her children were going to die.

Ororo had developed this motherly love in the small amount of time that she’d known. At first she was terrified because she knew that this madman would come after them as soon as they entered the world. But she’d grown fond and accustomed to the thought and she loved the fact that she was finally going to have her own kids. But now she knew that the chances of their survival were slim and she knew that she was going to die right alongside them.

What hurt the most was the fact that her children had been conceived so quickly, so unexpectedly, and now they weren’t even going to get the chance to live. They’d never see the sun. They’d never meet their family, their new family, the Avengers. They’d never get to see their father and they’d never go to school and they’d never graduate and they’d never grow up to be something great. They’d never have a future because they’d never exist to the world. They’d only really exist to Ororo. She’d be the only one to ever feel them inside of her, to feel them grow and develop inside of her body. They’d never really exist to anybody but her…