Part 11

King Ryans P.O.V

It still saddens me to no end when I walk through these halls that used to know so much joy. Where me and Alex used to... Alex. I missed my old friend to no end. Nothing has been the same since he was thrown into that portal 22 years ago. A lifetime ago. I stop in front of the big oak door where I have an appointment to see Razzardus in a few minutes. The ruler of the underworld and now also the ruler of Zahee. I give a deep sigh. I cannot show weakness. I straighten my shoulders and walk in.

I always felt uncomfortable in this office. Where there used to be light shining through the big window behind the black imposing desk, there was now thick black curtains pulled over it. Giving the room an eary feeling.

I walk towards the desk, my feet not making a sound on the plush red carpet.

"Ahhh my dear friend Ryan. How good to see you. Please come in and help yourself to a seat." Razzardus says, his voice dripping of honey. He didn't fool me. He was as evil as they come and no amount of sweet words could convince me otherwise.

"Razzardus," I say nodding my head in his direction, "How have things been?" I ask as politely as possible.

I shivered every time those beady lizard eyes looked my way. I felt low and dirty for even speaking to him, but I had no choice. I had to do this for my people.

"Oh wonderful thank you for asking. Peaceful. I want too keep it that way however and that's the reason why I summoned you here today. You see, it's been brought under my attention that our peace treaty needs attention. Oh how time flies when one's having fun" he says with a smirk

"Our attention? What do you mean?" I ask, knowing exactly what he's referring to. The treaty expires every 5 years so this is the 4th one I had to sign. Every time I try to avoid it for as long as possible but it is fruitless. This is something I have to do no matter how much it pains me.

"Well it seems that the expiry date is coming up very soon,"he says trying to look very concerned, "and we wouldn't want a war to break out now do we? People might get hurt." he continues in a fake worrying manner.

Yeah right, I almost snort out loud. Like he would actually care if any of my people got killed. I doubt he would even care if his own people got killed but then again, where would he get subjects to boss around if all his people died?

Our armies are equally matched and if a war should break out it would probably the the end of Leandre. That's why I have to do this. That's why I have to talk to him like old friends and that's why I have to sign the peace treaty once again. I know it's foolish but I just keep hoping that somehow Alex would return before the treaty expired once again.

With him by my side his people would stand up with me and we could overthrow that overgrown lizard. But right now that's not even an option. Alex' people still mostly think that it's my fault that they lost their future King. Not only because it was I who destroyed the witch Zardia, not Alex like Warlock Zorgan believed, but because I didn't lift a finger to help them in the following 3 years when Razzardus took over their land. Alex's people have decided to rather be slaves of Razzardus than to betray their old Prince, like they believe I did.

"Yes of course. It completely slipped my mind'" I lied without any shame, "I unfortunately have another urgent appointment I need to get to so if we could just sign those papers" I said not wanting to be in his company for a moment longer than necessary.

"Bibby!" He called out to one of his scared little trolls. Those things are ugly to begin with but jeepers, this one looked like something out of a horror movie. It's greenish gray ears flopping into his face and hitting it's nose that has a mole the size of a peanut. The troll came running in as fast as he probably could on those short stumpy legs of his giving me a sideways glance with his pitch black eyes. "Get me the peace treaty now!"he hollered at Bibby. Before you could count to 5 Bibby was back with the peace treaty and with a bow he handed the documents over to Razzardus.