Part 4

• Dedicated to Lizette Van den Bergh-Kotz

I've started to really care about these people, I realized as I woke up the next morning seeing that no one was home but me. I thought back at the time I've spent here since my parents accident. I remember Zanne's younger twin brothers, Mike and Max, trying to cheer me up by inviting me into their rooms to play one of their video games. I remember Zanne's older sister, Rene', sneaking me into the movies with her (she wanted to lift my spirits but not at the cost of ruining her reputation by being seen with a 10th grader).

Aunt Mary and Uncle Roland, Zanne's parents, were amazingly thoughtful and sweet. Aunt Mary would call me into the kitchen to help her when she was making her delicious choc-chip cookies, just as an excuse to find out how I was. Uncle Roland, a man of a few words, would just give me a smile, and make me feel like I truly belong. Like he really cares.

The best of all was Ruzanne though. Being there to distract me from my depressing thoughts or just holding me when I wanted to cry. I give a deep sigh. Tomorrow at exactly 3 pm I was going to have to say goodbye to them all and there was nothing that I was able to do about it.

I went downstairs to grab myself a bowl of cereal. After that I went to take a shower. I started taking of my jewelry, that I hadn't even bothered mix and matching the last week, and put it on the sink. When I lifted my head my eyes caught something. I look up. Right into a mirror. I didn't look like myself. My thick, flowing blond hair was standing in all directions looking oily and frizzy, my red cheeks were pale and lifeless, my light blue eyes were dull and without emotion and my curvy figure was replaced with too much bone. I looked awful and I hated it. I hadn't cared about anything this last week and to realize that I actually feel something now made me feel better. I was going to get through this just like mom said.

With this feeling still strong I decided to do something about it. I started to fill the bath tub, throwing in every fragrance ball I could find and a lot of bubble bath. I got in and pampered myself like I hadn't done in a long time. When I finally got out the water was cold. My skin felt incredibly soft and a little color was back in my cheeks. Almost all of my clothes were brought here by Uncle Roland and Zanne during the week but |I couldn't find something that fitted like it was supposed to. I guess I've lost more wait than I thought. I went over to Zanne's closet. She was going to kill me but since she was a size or 2 smaller than me I was sure that it was the only place I would find clothes now. I picked out a spaghetti strapped black dress that was decorated with big colorful flowers and high heel black shoes with the same type of decorations. After that was my hair that I blow dried and straightened to perfection. I put on a little lip gloss and eye-liner and I was done. I went to stand in front of the full length mirror that Zanne had on the inside of her closet door and I couldn't believe my eyes. I looked like myself!

I wanted to go out on the town and show of my new found confidence but without a car or anyone to drive me I was stuck. After a while the excitement of looking like myself again began to fade, I started to get bored. I started thinking about the fact that I was leaving tomorrow and boredom turned into depression.

After a while, having nothing else to do, |I started packing for my new life. One I wasn't so sure I was going to like. While packing I came across the letters I got from the attorney yesterday. With all the excitement of Zanne wanting me to move in with them I completely forgot about the letters.

I plopped onto my bed. Curiously I looked at the symbol on top of the envelope. It looked almost like one of those family crests that you would always see in the olden days that would be put on everything from a letter to a carriage. It was really unique, I wonder where my parents got it.

Not able to wait any longer I opened the letter.

Dear baby girl,

I have mixed emotions about writing this letter. It makes me extremely sad to think that I might have to leave you and daddy behind someday. But if you are able to read this letter it means that it is time for you to know who we really are. Who you really are.