Part 7

• Dedicated to Jaco Roos

As soon as Aunt Mary and Uncle Roland were able to,I was transferred to Cremona private school where Zanne went to school. I had joined Zanne in her cheerleading squad and she joined me in choir. We were basically inseparable. Our senior year went by in a flash and before I knew it the year was at its end. Today was our finals and Zanne was stressing as usual.

"Relax Zanne, you're going to do fine," I assured her, "after all you did have the best tutor there is" I bragged a little with a smug smile playing at my lips.

"Yeah well not everyone can have your brains" she said with a huff, "and to think we could've been sitting in a magical palace being adored and fed grapes by hunks! I still don't understand why we couldn't have started searching for Leandre' by now." She said "It would have been so much better than being stuck in school for the last two years."

Even though two years have gone by since the death of my mum and dad I still have days where it feels like I just want to crawl into bed and bawl my eyes out. But I can't complain. Aunt Mary and Uncle Roland are the best people I have ever met, beside my parents of course, and I have grown incredibly fond of them. Sometimes it just doesn't feel enough though.

"We've been over this Zanne. You need time to think and I want you to at least be with your parents as long as possible. I still don't feel right about taking you with me." I was secretly burning inside to get going as soon as possible but I don't want to risk my best friends' life by doing so

"And you don't think two years is long enough? I've thought about it and there is nothing that's going to change my mind. Sure I'm going to miss my parents and Rene and even the Brats a little but you're my sister Zanne and I'm not letting you do this on your own!" she said firmly

With a sigh I decided to just drop it. We've been over this argument multiple times and she still wins. If she wants to go then I can't stop her. Besides if we don't leave now we'll be late for school.

"Fine Zanne, you win as always. Now let's get to school." I gave up

"Yikes we have ten minutes! Let's go! "She screams over her shoulder while running down the stairs.

One day she's going to break her neck running down those stairs. Well, I guess I should be grateful that she's not sliding down on the rail today. I thought with a shrug following her

We arrived at school in Rene's old red cadillac. As soon as she graduated she got it as a present from Aunt Mary and Uncle Roland, but she got in an accident with it 2 weeks later. Luckily Zanne and I, since we wanted a car our senior year, convinced Zanne's parents to give us the slightly ruined car instead of trading it in for a new car. There was a condition however, that I had to help Zanne pass every subject she had, and if she was to fail the car would be taken back. This was a deal a regretted greatly in taking a few times when trying to force information into Zanne's head. The car was easy enough to get fixed with a couple of our car genius friends' help. And the only thing they wanted was a couple of beers for their efforts. Have to love those alcohol depraved jocks.

I get out of the car and as usual the little group of our closest friends were waiting at the front door waiting for us.

Since Zanne and I agreed that we would be leaving in a couple of days time on our search for the portal, this would be the last day we were able to see any of our friends. We were six in the little group of best friends we formed. There was Nat and Riz, Alta and Sam and of course me and Zanne. Nat was the eccentric one with a common knowledge out of this world, she and Riz, the quiet one with a bit of a twisted sense of humour, are best friends for about 4 years now and were usually of doing something random. Alta was the sensitive of the group always looking for someone she could help with anything and that's how she found Sam, the extrovert with a blonde streak. Sam got pregnant a year ago, and even though she had a hard time continuing with school, she did it and now has a beautiful baby girl to brag with. Even though me and Zanne had quite a lot of friends with our different extracurricular activities, this was the group we considered our best friends.