79

My leg bounces up and down as I sit on the bottom step of my stairs with my red painted lip between my teeth and nerves in my stomach. Is this too soon? Am I going to regret this? I can't help but feel as though I'm just setting myself up for heartbreak and my heart already aches. I don't know if I can take anymore.

A knock on the door interrupts my thoughts and my stomach drops to the floor. Oh god. Suddenly, it's too late to change my mind and I'm a mess of excitement and nervousness and regret and I don't know what to do. I stand up and straighten my baby pink skater dress out a little whilst checking myself in the mirror. I look fine, I look cute, this will all be fine. I'm just hyping it up to be something it isn't.

It's only a date and it's only Brad.

"Liv?" Brad's voice comes from behind the door and makes me jump slightly. "Are you alright?" My heart warms at the concern in his voice so I take a deep breath and open the door.

My breath hitches in my throat as I release a gasp at the sight of him. I step back a little, faltered by the sheer appearance of him. His hair is still up in that bun that I really love, a tight red shirt fits him snugly with all but the top three buttons fastened and the sleeves rolled up. His leather jacket rests folded on his right arm and his tight black jeans fit him in all the right places as usual. Something about seeing him dressed like this sets a fire inside of me, he isn't even wearing anything that unusual or different but he just looks more...mature.

My eyes trace up to his face and I notice his eyes drinking in my entirety from the top of my head to the bottom of my shoes, finally landing on my eyes.

"Hey, babe." His deep voice greets me with a hint of a smirk on his face.

I stand speechless for a second before composing myself and replying to him.

"Hey." I almost whisper as he steps into my house, retrieving something from his back pocket.

"It's not nearly as impressive as our first date but..." He holds out a single pale pink peony which somehow creates flutters in my stomach as I think back to our first and only real date. "I thought the sentiment would be the same."

"I-thank you." I stutter like an idiot as I carefully take the delicate flower from his hand, our fingers lightly brushing as I do.

"I figured that since you reacted so well to the peonies before, you wouldn't mind getting another." Brad says smoothly, my eyes focussing on the smooth petals waving in and out from the core of the flower, tipped with a darker pink.

"They're my favourite flower." I smile slightly and tilt my head to the side as I look back up to him.

"Really?" He smiles a small grin and his face brightens up slightly which makes me giggle. He looks at me fondly before biting down on his bottom lip. "Are you ready to go?" He asks.

"Uh...yeah let's go." I decide before my overthinking can make me change my mind.

Brad nods before turning around and leading me to his car. I make sure to lock my front door before following him, otherwise Sam would absolutely kill me. When I arrive at his car, I giggle as I notice him holding out the passenger door for me with a charming grin on his face.

"I can open my own door you know?" I laugh as I sit down I the passenger seat.

"A thank you would suffice." Brad teases me before shutting the door and getting in the drivers seat.

Nerves return as a silence floats over us, a slight awkwardness tapping on my shoulder as I remember that he hurt me again and I can't let myself fall for him so easily. Brad starts the engine and pulls away from my house, beginning the journey as I look down at the peony between my fingers. I roll it back and forth between my index finger and my thumb, analysing the different streaks and blends of colour in the frail flower. The abundance of petals somehow join together, overlapping and tumbling over each other but still holding together. A small smile reaches my face as I realise that sounds a lot like me.