ariana 22: take it easy

as i was laughing, my phone started ringing. i took a quick look and was surprised to see justin's caller ID.

i quickly grabbed it before sascha, my best friend, could take a look. she doesn't know. no one does.. i think.

"uh, i need a moment. it's an emergency." i mutter to her and she just blinks at me, not knowing what to say.

i didn't wait for her to say anything. i head outside and got on the elevator when i answered the call.

"hello?"

a few seconds before i heard his hoarse voice. it's as if he has been shouting all day and spoke again for the first time. "i broke up with her." not only his voice mattered but what he told me made my world stop.

i didn't even notice i was already at the roof of the hotel.

i hopped out slowly and find my way to the bench. i didn't say anything. what must i say? congratulations? that's great?

i just wanted to pick the good ones.

justin loved hailey. and i understand that he's going through something right now.

"i'm sorry." was all that i could say.

"i don't want you to be. it's my choice." justin sniffed at the end of the line.

we were silent before i began, "so... um... what happened?" it's an absolute stupid question. there was no need to tell how couples break up.

but justin didn't mind. "i called her to a café. i actually didn't say the words 'break up' but she knew."

"what? how come? does she know.. about—you know—us?" i looked around before i asked him that. it's a very sensitive topic.

"i'm sure she doesn't know." justin said in a little bit defense. "i just said my sorry and i told her i was thankful of all that she's done for me. and then, she concluded that i was breaking up with her."

uh. i thought to myself. girl instinct. "then. after that?"

he told me everything. the girl at the café, that he looked drunk when he got home. and that he has hailey's phone.

"what? how—"

"it's fine." he reassured me. "i'll give it back. i just don't know when."

there was a long silence. a very long one. i can just hear him breathing. at first it was a bit awkward but as minutes pass by, it felt like we needed that moment.

then i thought about it. i should tell him..

"justin."

"yeah?"

"i think we should give it a time." i didn't have to repeat it for him to understand. he knows too that this is the best answer to our problem.

we must wait. until the right timing comes.

them breaking up doesn't instantly make me and him a couple. we want to clear things up and we want to just slow things down. we have all the time.