Chapter 40: Breath

I looked around the caves opening. It was so dark. Naruto showed up with Kakashi-sensei and everyone else. Suddenly light shone through and we were able to see I don’t know what happened really. Neji and Tenten and Lee all pulled me out of the cave.

“We need you to help us look out. If there’s something or someone out here that could end up going in there, it could be chaos for the mission.” I knew Neji was lying. His eye twitches when he lies. But why was he lying?

We walked around for afew minutes looking for anything and everything. There was loud noise and Naruto yelling. Oh shit. Time to find him. I ran in the direction of the smoke trail. What? The kid can run fast. He was chasing someone. I couldn’t really see who it was. But he looked like the blonde guy from before. He had something on his back. Like a large jar or something.

I saw Itachi. He saw me too and waved. I waved back and did our old special message code to tell him Sasuke wants to kill him. He shook his head laughing and coded back 'I know.'

'Dude your screwed. He left two years ago to train so he would be strong enough. If you see him before I do, tell him to come home. I'm board and the hospital keeps sending me letters wondering why I havn't come back with broken bones.'

He laughed and waved bye to me. How anyone could ever think he was evil is beyond me. Sure he killed his whole clan but come on. We all want to kill our parents every once in awhile. He just actually did it.

There was a yell and a large boom farther down the treeline. I ran in the direction it came from. Naruto and everyone were standing around something. I walked up to see what it was. The only thing I saw was a tuffet of messy red hair before Naruto covered my eyes and pulled me into him.

"Naruto, why won't you let me see?" I asked. He was sillent. "Come on man. Answer me!" I screamed, my voice becoming thick. "Somebody fucking answer me!" No one did and I started to cry. I knew why they weren't letting me see Gaara. I knew why they weren't answering me. I just wouldn't accept it. I struggled against Naruto's strong hold, sobbing.

I finally broke free and collapsed next to Gaara, burrying my face in his chest. I hit his chest and sobbed harder.

"Why? Why did you have to die like this Gaara?" Naruto growled. "Your the Kazekage! You just became the Kazekage!"

"Calm yourself, Naruto Uzumaki."Elder Chiyo said.

"Shut the hellup!" Naruto and I yelled, looking up at her, tears running down both our faces.

"It's your fault! If you God damned sand shinobi hadn't put that monster inside him this never would've happened! Do you have any idea the kinda burden he carried?!" He paused and tightened his fists. "Damn the Jinchuriki. You have no right to act like your better than us, to lable us and use us..." He swayed abit on his feet.

I crawled over to him and got up to hug while we cried. He whispered in my ear something like,"I couldn't save Sasuke...I couldn't save Gaara. I trained so hard for three years and nothings changed."I didn't know what to do anymore. I was... lost. Twice someone close to me has died. But I've never been so lost in my entire life. If my brain could just make sense of anything right now, I might be able to pull myself together. But nothing happened. I fell asleep, my head cushioned on Gaara's chest again. I was afraid. Afraid that if I let go of Gaara, He would truly be lost.

~Dream~

Was this a feild? It expanded beyond the eyes sight, beautiful and light. Everything was clear here. Like everything bad never existed here. I saw Something in the distance. It was... a person. They were looking down at they're hand. And... It looked... like Gaara. He put his hand down and looked over at what looked like a younger version of him. He was crying. I ran like a little girl again to the younger Gaara. At the same time I placed my hand on Gaaras shoulder, a young Naruto put his hand on the other.

I could see my feflection in Gaara's eyes. I was a little girl. I was eight, with my blonde hair pulled into pigtails and my front tooth missing. But then the reflection changed. I was fiffteen again, hair short and smile sweet just for him. Naruto was older too as was Gaara.

"Lets go home." I said. They both nodded.

~Dream end~

I groaned in pain from the posstion I had been in. I could still feel Gaara beneith me. But... he was... breathing. That dream... was it his life coming back? I opened my eyes and lifted my head.

"Ow." I groaned. Naruto was the first to come up to me.

"Steffie-"

"Naruto... he's breathing." I said with pure joy dripping in my voice. How long had I been out? A lot more people had showed up and it was kinda dark. Gaara made a noise and opened his eyes. His stare was blank for a second. But then the light began to shine in them again. He sat up and looked around, quickly finding me and Naruto in the mix.

I softly wrapped my arms around him. "Thank God your okay." I whispered. He wrapped one arm around me and whispered back "I would never leave you Steph." Never.