Chapter 34: Calm

I knew what to do. Everything cmae into my mind at once. It was so simple, yet it would also be so painful. I sat up and looked up at the tree branch that Sakura had been pinned to with sand, and Sasuke baddly hurt. Naruto stood, trying to figure out away to help his friends. Now when I looked at Gaara, I had to do a double take. See, half of his body was sand covered and beast like. Was Shukaku taking over? Something tells me this isn't a very good thing.

Sakura, totally passed out, made a noise when Gaara tightened the sand on her. Look, I don't like her. But i'm not about to let her get crushed to death. Sasuke was still conciuse, so he can't be to bad off. Gaara said something to Naruto. I couldn't understand him. Really I was having a hard understanding anything right then. After being knocked around things got hazy. Naruto was trying to make a point, but not having any real luck with it. What realy got me was when it looked like Gaara was going to attack him. I very slowly and painful got off the ground and limpped to stand in between Gaara and Naruto. Slowly I lifted my arms in a protective stance of Naruto. Gaara's eyes whidened.

"D-don't hurt my f-f-friends." I weakly put out.

"Friends. what are friends but people who judge you and hold you back. People who care about you, people you care about, they all make you weak." He growled.

I gave him a tiny smile ignoring the pain in my arm. "But thats where your wrong. The people you care about are what make you stronger. If you have a special person then you have the urge to protect them, which in turn gives you determination and strength. Friends are people you can easily say you love and care about. Some one who judges you can't be your friend because friends love you for who you are. I love you for you Gaara. I always have. Even when I was angry with you. And because I have you and everyone else I'm a stronger person. Tell me. With me and Temari and Kankuro, are you stronger than you would have been without us?"

He didn't say anything.

"There are people here who care about you. And you care about us too."

He looked like he was starting to calm down alittle. Man I am on a role with these speeches. Or not. Gaara really started freaking out then. "IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENCE!!!!"

"Shit."

His entire body was now covered with the sand. Looked like a demon.

"YAHOO! It's about time I got free!" Thats not Gaara's voice.

"Hey Steph. Your right. He sure is beastly." Sasuke called.

"Remind me to hit you later." I called as best I could.

The Shukaku i'm guessing looked over at me and Naruto.

"Hey kid, nice try but it just didn't cut it. But hows about this. Since the kid likes you so much, i'll kill you quickly." He said. A thick line of sand rushed out at me and pushed me hard. I went flying, past Naruto. I saw his face as I went by. It was an expression of fear he wore. Again with people doubting me. My back made contact with the tree, and then my head. I fell forward and landed on my stomach. Pain race across my head and chest as I coughed up blood. Everything was so blurry and even though I could see that Naruto was yelling, It sounded like a whisper. Wait. isn't that the sign of a concusion? Shit. I tryed so hard to pay attention to the fight, I really did. But the only things I got was a lot of yelling and aruto kicking some major ass. Gaara started to return to normal after awhile.

It was so hard to stay awake. But I knew I had to. I felt someones cold hand on the back of my neck.

"It's okay, i've got you." Was that Temari? "I'll keep you awake."

She pulled me up into a sitting possion so I could see better, but made sure I was leaning on her. Finally when It looked like the fight was over, Naruto said something about me to Gaara that made him snap back into reality and rush over to me as fast as he could.

Now normaly you would think that when someone was worried about you, they would stop and kneel down to see you. But when it comes to Gaara...

I was snached up by him and craddled into his chest as he ran. I couldn't keep focus so I had no idea where he was taking me nor did I really care. But I could hear two people following us.

"Gaara, why are you taking her? She can't go with us." Kankuro said.

Gaara didn't even look at him.

"Come on. Kiddnapping is low even for you." Tem said.

Again, he said nothing. but he did increase his speed. Soon I could no longer hear anyone behind us. Where was he taking me? I couldn't see the tree tops anymore. I tryed to talk, to say anything, but it was a futile game. I'm sure what was several hours but to me seemed just afew minutes got us to a different village. Was that Suna? He brought me to Suna? I shut my eyes for only second I thought, but found myself laying in a bed when I opened them next.

My vision wasn't as bad as it had been. Gaara was sitting ina chair next to the bed with head in his hands. I moved my arm to touch his the best I could. When he lifted his I was shocked. Long lines of tears were drifting down his face. He had been crying. For how long? And why?

"Stephanie." He sounded almost rejoycful. Gaara leaned down and kissed my lips so softly before taking my hands. "How could I have done this to you? I'm almost as bad as that Sasuke kid. Oh please say something to me Stephanie. Say that you'll hit me later for hitting you."

I opened my mouth ready to say something, but a barage of coughs came first. Gaara looked like he was in more pain than I was. "I'm okay." I said weakly after the coughs. "I'm going to so kick your ass later man. This is bullshit." I said.

He smiled and pulled me into a hug. He was so warm and gentel. I got the impresstion that he didn't want to break me. Come on, i'm not that fragile.

"I'm sorry. I'm so very sorry. I didn't know what I was doing. Shukaku was to strong. And he hurt you. But I blame myself for letting him out. I would never hurt you. Though I did kiddnap you."

"Yeah, I know. I don't mind. And don't worry, I think i've been a little worse off than this." I pulled away and gave him a smile.

About five hours and a lot of TV later, Temari and Kankuro come running in the door panting like they just ran a marathon.

"What the hell man?" Kankuro asked.

"Seriously? You just took her and left us behind?" Temari panted.

"You are so dead." They said together. I laughed and reached in my pocket for my cell.

"Okay, while ya'll are doing that, i'm gonna call Naruto and tell him where I am. I'm he's just... freaking out."

It rang a few times before he answered.

"WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU!!!" The force of his yell made my hair fly sideways.

"Calm down man, i'm fine. I'm in Suna."

"What the hell?"

"Yeah, I know right?"

"You need to get home Steffie. Listen, don't get to upset okay."

"Why? What happened?" I hate it when he tells me not to get upset.

"The Hokage is dead Steffie." My heart skipped a beat and grabbed my chest in pain. No. He can't be. Haruzen-san. The sand siblings had stopped their fighting and were now watching me as I broke down into tears.

"He can't be dead. Naruto please tell me your lying. Please tell me Hiruzen is still alive." It was quiet on the other end. A loud sob esscaped my throut. "Hiruzen Sarutobi was like a second father to me. He helpped me pass my ninja exam. He came to every one of my birthdays and visited every Christmas. And your telling me he's dead? He can't be, he just can't!" I dropped my phone and burried my head in Gaara's chest. My sobs were loud but that was okay. They should be. Loosing Hiruzen-san was just like loosing Ein again.

I cried, and cried. But I never felt any better. I cried, finally, until I was over come with exhastion, and fellasleep, right in Gaara's arms.