It's For The Best.

IVORY

"Sweetheart come on, we gotta go." 

"They'll inform us if something happens overnight."

"You can't spend another night here."

"It's okay darling he's stable."

I ignored Matt and Taylor offers and turned away from them, drowning my thoughts with headphones and music. I hadn't left the hospital for 3 nights straight, I hadn't eaten, I hadn't slept, I had barely managed to do anything. I couldn't come to terms with the fact I was going to lose the only family I had left. 

"Ivory sweetheart it's for the best." Mr Farmers reasoned. 

I shook my head and rested my hand over my dad's lifeless one. The doctors had close medical attention on him, and like myself, refused to give up. I also hadn't spoken to Alex for three days, that was also killing me. Despite how horribly cliché it sounded, I needed him, he understood, he got it, he knew how to calm me down. I wasn't sure if he knew about dad, after our argument I doubt he cared, 'of course he cares, he loves you!' My mind screamed. I frowned and wiped my eyes, realising I was crying again.

"Ivory-G I'm begging you, come home for the night." Taylor sighed, kneeing in front of me and pulling my headphones out.

"N-No." I stuttered. "G-Go Home."

"Not without you." Matt said, draped an arm across my shoulder. 

I shrugged him off and pulled my knee's to my chest, burying my head in my arms and shutting them out. Someone lent down and kissed my head multiple times, before Taylor kissed my cheek and walked out. I watched them go, suddenly regretting the decision that I didn't ask them to stay. I loved being alone, but I hated being lonely. 

"Evening Miss Brown." Dr. Simpson smiled. 

"H-Hi." 

"Still here I see, where did your sister go?" He asked, checking the charts on my dad's bed. 

"Home." I sighed. 

"Shouldn't you be there too?"

"No." I said sternly, turning away from him. 

"We're still stable Ivory, maybe get some sleep tonight, it's a wonder how you're aloud to stay here!" He chuckled. 

"My Mom died here, the nurses knew her, so they let me stay." I explained.

"Oh...good night Ivory." He nodded, before briskly walking out. 

I curled into a ball in the plastic chair and stared at my dad. It wasn't often I saw him, so I took the opportunity and looked at him for a while. Noticing the creases by his eyes, and the stubble on his chin, and how his eyebrows were uneven, and how despite his relationship with Mary-Anne, he still wore his wedding ring. The minute I saw it a loud sob escape my lips, I was struggling, I was going to admit it.

I needed him.

~~

"Let her sleep." 

"But I-"

"This is the first time I've seen her settled her, let her stay like that."

"I'm sure she slept all ni-"

"Leave, let her wake up when she's ready."

I sighed at the sound of Taylor arguing with someone, I couldn't hear their voice properly, but I assumed it was Matt. I kept my eyes shut, enjoying the calm before the doctors would come in and ask me to leave while they conduced 'tests of the sort'. The light was slipping through the curtains, and I couldn't help but smile a little. Mom loved the morning, how the light slipped through the curtains waking her up, and how Dad would complain they needed thicker curtains. 

"Good morning Ivory dear!" Nurse Watson grinned, strolling into the room and drawing the curtains fully. 

"Hi Alli." I blushed, rubbing my eyes trying to wake up a little. 

"How ya doing today then doll?" She asked, gathering some equipment. 

"Fine." I mumbled.

"You're always fine." She complained. 

My eyes widened at the choice of words, and it just made me miss him more. I hadn't spoke to Alex for 5 days now, and it was killing me. I didn't know if he'd tried to contact me, I doubted it, him being on tour and all, however something was telling he'd never just 'forget to call'.

"Would you mind stepping outside Ivory dear?" She asked nicely.

"Sure." I nodded.

I stood up and stretched, before slowly walking out the room. I took this opportunity and visited the bathroom, passing the café as I walked. I realised how little I had eaten since Alex had gone, it wasn't as if I was unhappy with my weight, I just forgot to eat a lot of the time. Alex had always ensured I was okay, and he could somehow always tell if I'd eaten or not eaten enough. I looked down at my stomach and noticed it was smaller, but thought nothing of it, Dad was the priority, not me. 

I finished in the bathroom and walked back to Dad's room, noticing how much louder the corridors were today. I flinched as a loud scream echoed from the children's ward, making me move faster towards my dad's room.

"IVORY! Stay there!" Alli yelled suddenly before I could open his door. 

I froze and turned to face her, a confused expression resting on my features.

"You don't want to go in there." She warned, stepping in front of me.

"Why not? What's happening?" I asked frantically.

"Your Dad woke up but he's not-- he wasn't--"

"WHAT HAPPENED?" I yelled, taking myself by surprise.

"He's wasn't breathing!" Alli sighed. 

"W-What?"

"He woke up and tried to remove the wires from himself, he accidentally pushed his alarm button, the doctors rushed in which panicked him and then he stopped breathing." She explained.

"NO!" I cried, reaching for the door handle. 

"Ivory stop you can't go in there!" Alli shouted.

"I have to! He's all I have left!" I sobbed, trying to push past her.

"Ivory stop please!" She sighed, grabbing my shoulder. 

"NO! YOU HAVE TO LE-"

"Ivory-Grace calm down."

I spun round to sound of his voice, he stood there smiling, his arms open. My knee's buckled and fell to the ground sobbing.

He was here...but my Dad wasn't.

Alex was quick to collapse next to me, looping his arms under me and lifting me up. He moved us out of the way and cuddled me to his chest, allowing me to cry it out. His grip only got tighter around me, he pressed kisses against my head and made the occasion 'shh' sound. 

"Baby...shh babygirl, please." He sighed.

I buried my head in his chest as he set me down on my feet, his arms automatically circled my waist to help keep me stable. I couldn't control my tears as the pressure of everything finally took it's toll. Breathing became difficult, and Alex noticed, he placed my hand over his heart and took deep breaths.

"Breathe with me baby." He whispered, tugging me closer with one arm while the other rested over my hand on his heart.

"It's okay Ivory-Grace, I got you, and I'm here to stay..."