Chapter 27: "I'm channelling my inner Jaden."

I had trouble sleeping that night, every time I closed my eyes I saw a bloodied scene and heard police sirens in the distance.

It was safe to say I wasn’t in a very good mood the following day at school.

“Miss Baker are you even paying attention to me?” Mr Binns, the Math teacher, questioned while I was staring aimlessly at the equation filled whiteboard.

I slowly lifted my sleep deprived head towards him and repressed a groan.

No I definitely hadn’t been listening.

“Yes sir,” I lied keeping my gaze steady.

“Then could you solve the equation I just read out?” His gaze was cold and as calculating as any math geeks would be.

I stared at him unsure of what to say next, the one way that did appear in front of me was to tell him that I couldn’t answer his question since the sound of his voice was more boring than watching grass grow; but I was saved from the choice when Luke walked into the room. Half an hour late.

“Detention.” Mr Binns sneered now turning his attention to a very moody looking Luke. I followed his movements too, he really did seem upset.

The phone call I had been listening into yesterday popped into my head and my confusion and curiosity each reached a new peak.

Not once did he meet my gaze throughout the rest of the class and he was the first one out of the door too, it was really starting to annoy me.

The whispers and stares have died down a lot since yesterday, so far I have only heard three people talking about my sexual escapades. And I just have to say: I get around a fair bit; if I do say so myself.

At the end of lunch I was walking back to my locker when a burst of red to my left stopped me in my tracks.

Cassidy.

I turned around and followed Cassidy’s movements as she talked to some girl, I’m pretty sure her name was Grace, then move away again.

Anger flashed through my body like hot oil when I remembered what she has done to me, what she has brought on to herself even.

It wasn’t until I was right behind her did I realise I was chasing after her.

“Hey!” I was surprised at the amount of anger that left my body with this one yell. Everything that had happened seemed to just erupt from me like a flood gate and I wasn’t about to let her get away from me again.

Cassidy stopped and turned to face me; her body rigid.

“Do you have any idea of what you have done to me?” I spat. 

All last night I had been wondering about how I would deal with what Cassidy has done to me, I guess when I saw her my mind was decided.

I was going to rip her a new one.

“I have an idea...” Cassidy trailed off trying to sound confident. Underneath it all she was pale, stiff and scared.

“You stupid little cow, do you think you are an exception because you helped him find me? Huh? Are you forgetting you helped me escape two years ago? You fucking retard once he’s done with me he will go after you!” My voice had been growing louder and louder, I was vaguely aware of the crowd I was attracting but my anger had ceased me by the horns and it wasn’t about to let go just yet.

Cassidy seemed to be thinking what I had said over, her expression becoming more and more terrified by the minute.

“He wouldn’t...” She muttered defiantly shaking her head. Then smiling bitterly at me she pointed her finger at me.