Chapter 5: "Is he killing her in there?"

I was a little glad to be out of my house on Sunday as I made my way to Noah’s place. Whenever I was alone I would freak out about the phone call that came from school Friday night. Basically, I’m on my first and final warning to losing my scholarship. Alice’s parents aren’t going to press the matter further after they heard I only hit her in self-defence, apparently Cassidy had filled them in, and they knew that in a law suit that’s all I would be condemned with: self-defence.

So they just agreed with the schools punishment: a month of detention and a written warning. I was glad and kind of smug with this; they knew that if I wanted to (and had the money) I could get their daughter charged with assault. But I didn’t have the money or the time to do something like that. Therefore, I had to take the detention and warning without any more complaints or incidents.

Dave listened to the reasons I would be turning up later to my shifts from now on with pursed lips when I told him yesterday, his eyes would flicker between my bandaged hand and my still slightly swollen cheek. When I had finished filling him in he simply wrapped his arms around me, in a fatherly fashion, and told me it was going to be all right. I actually almost broke down right there. Then life went on. Almost as if nothing had happened, all I was left to remember the punch by was my sore hand and cheek.

Noah had text me his address yesterday too; he lived on the third floor of the Kalmie building; the notorious apartment building for the richest people in town-figures. Standing outside the place made me feel almost nervous. It was overly grand in design and too modern for anywhere in this town. It stuck out like a sore thumb. Shaking my mind from my prejudice I pressed the buzzer number twenty like he told me to and waited. 

“Hello?” Noah’s voice sounded from the small speaker.

“It’s Elyon.” I said back clearly, worried he might not be able to hear me.

“Right! Yeah come on up.” There was a beeping noise and the doors latch sprung open allowing me to make my way in. There was a large staircase, which looked suspiciously made of marble, and an elevator. I made my way up the elevator, and finally arrived Noah Simmons floor. He was waiting for me outside his door wearing casual clothes I have never saw on him before; (but then again, I hardly ever see him) a loose fitted white sweater and grey baggy jogging bottoms that gripped his ankles emphasising the fact he was shoeless. He still managed to look good. But not as good as-. Okay...I have no idea where that comparison came from. Mentally shaking my course of thoughts back to the task at hand I greeted Noah.

“I didn’t think you would actually come,” he said as I was ushered inside to the warmth of his home. I shrugged indifferently smiling a little.

“I’m only in this for the money.”

He laughed at that and led me into his sitting room. It was the size of my house combined! All the walls were painted plain white, there was a flat screen TV on the wall opposite the corner dark leather couch and a glass coffee table sat in the centre that was littered with empty beer bottles, there was also two dark leather recliners in the corners of the room looking very worn down compared to everything else. And although the kitchen door was closed the glassless window told me the room was all sparkly and very high tech, honestly; it looked huge too. It all added up to a very expensive and modern taste-way out of my pay range.

“Sit down! You’re making me nervous.” Noah said slapping the sofa beside him. I hadn’t even noticed he had sat down. I done as I was told and sat down as far away from him as was polite and placed my bag of text books between us. I continued to look around noticing the lack of nick nacks or photos and a question came to mind.

“Is it only you and your parents that live here?” I asked turning my attention to him.

“God no! I don’t live with my Dad. It’s me, Jaden, Nick. Luke is the only one to still live with his parents.” I frowned at that. Hearing that all the guys best known for violence and crime live under this very roof makes me cringe at what they have done on this couch. Then there was the name ‘Luke.’ Who the hell was he?