Chapter 2: "Sometimes, I really do love this job."

"That's twice now, I might have to start charging." Jaden Blake said tilting his perfectly pale face to the side giving me a mocking smirk. I didn't know what to do, first I was late for class because of Alice; and now I'm going to be even later because of Jaden Blake-of all people why did it have to be him?

"I'm sorry?" I couldn't quite stop it from sounding like a question.

"I know you are," he replied cockily. I had to crane my neck to look into his darker than brown eyes that were almost hidden behind his black bangs. I really need to leave now. I could see my classroom door over his shoulder. 

I'm going to kill Alice. 

"So why aren't you at class?" He asked raising his eyebrows. It would be so easy to give him a snarky reply, one that matched my personality and annoyed mood, but I knew that would be no help. Jaden Blake seemed like the type of person to get off on 'banter.' 

"Can I go?" I asked ignoring his question in the politest way possible, though a small hint of annoyance seeped into my words at the end. Jaden didn't seem to hear me any more than I heard him as he took a small step closer to me. I sharply pulled further back: my eyes narrowing. Personal bubble dude. 

"Why are you not being all snappy with me?" His tone was laced with amusement, "I hear they all call you 'the nerd with a big mouth'."

"You want me to argue with you?" I asked impatiently. Definitely the banter type. 

"What can I say? I like feisty girls." He smirked and cocked and eyebrow slowly allowing a small gap between his sentences and for my eyebrows to rise. I hate being right. 

"Pig." I muttered unable to stop myself any more. "Why all the girls want you is beyond any logic." 

He laughed, it was low. Almost a rumble. It was hellish. 

"Not everything is measured in logic." His eyes twinkled in mischief, a hint of a smirk covering his full lips. My chest tightened slightly, damn. Why was he so good looking? Shaking my head to get rid of the unwelcome thoughts I ignored him and pushed my way past: heading to class. 

"Nice meeting you!" He yelled as I opened the door to my class. I glared heavily at him over my shoulder, flicking him the middle finger as I angrily closed the door behind me. 

I stumbled into the silent class my eyes going straight to the teacher-Mr Binns- who was in the middle of writing a long equation on the white boards. I could feel more than a few eyes on my back as I apologised to him, which made the task even more difficult.

"Just take your seat Miss Baker." Mr Binns croaky voice sneered, thankfully that was all he said beofre turning back to his equation.

"Yes sir," I said with a nod and took one of the empty seats in the front row as quietly as possible. I opened my text book to the page the people around me, my eyes closing slightly as I sighed deeply. 

That used up too much energy. 

After Math I made it to Biology without any more problems-thankfully. I was glad to see Cassidy already sitting at the back work bench, until I remembered she was probably angry with me. Sighing, I took a seat beside her and smiled apologetically.

"I'm sorry Cass," I tried carefully. "I bumped into Malice and you know what happens when we get too close to each other..." I ended lamely. Cassidy pursed her lips and scrunched her nose in an annoyed manner. 

"I waited for the whole break Elyon," she muttered pushing her bangs from her eyes and scowling at me.

"Cass-Tch! I'm sorry okay? I know I should have just ignored her," I hushed her when she began to interrupt me and carried on quickly, "but, you have done it to me plenty of times too y'know? And I let it go. Didn't I?" I shrugged to make my disinterest known.