Dead

Aurelia
I pour out a glass of wine and take a quick sip as I stand barefoot in the lawn.
"Come inside. You might catch cold." Dad's voice resounds from behind me and I shake my head without looking back.

"Your daughter is upstairs. Go to her, you're showing care to the wrong person." I say and he chuckles.
He stands with me and clinks his wine glass to mine.
"Cheers." He says.
"We toast when we're celebrating. Not when we're drowning in our issues." I say and put the glass to my lips.

"Aren't we celebrating? Okay, you toast first. Anything you want to." He says and forwards the glass. I look at the glass and then back up at him.
"To an amazing love and a broken family." I say and he smiles amusedly.

"Okay my turn. To a job I'm passionate about and to a wonderful elder daughter." He says and smiles.
I give him a blank look as we click our glasses together.
"Whoa dad, flattery won't help you. And why are you even complimenting me? Go upstairs, your daughter is unwell." I say and dad doesn't respond.

"You know, Aurelia, I've never had to worry about you. You've always been so mature, practical and smart. Now I don't know what's happened to you. Maybe I was wrong." He digs out some soil from the ground.

"How can you say that?" I ask, forcing myself to keep calm.
"How can you think that I don't love you, or no one in the family does?"

"I can't see it. When someone loves you, it is quite obvious. What does mum do anyways? Taunt me, mock me and put me down. If she only loves Willow, why did she even bring me up? She could have given me to someone else." I rant.
"Your mother's case is a different one. You know, she was a beauty queen back in her days. And your sister, Willow harbours the same dreams. Not only that, she's a striking copy of your mother in every aspect. You my dear, you resemble me. You value knowledge over looks and you have ambitions that exceed thinking only about yourself. Your mum wants you to be more like her. She doesn't hate you. It's just the type of person she is."

"But is being myself such a bad thing?" I ask and dad sighs.
"No, you're perfect just the way you are. It's just that your mother has a problem accepting people. She doesn't like anyone who's not like her."

"So she doesn't like me?" I say it more like a statement. Of course, I've told myself the same thing a lot of times but actually hearing it makes my heart break all the more.
"She does. She just doesn't know it yet."

"What bullshit dad." I give my father a blank expression.
"Oh yes. She'll realize it. And what's happening with Blake? Don't talk about Willow, I can understand she might be creating problems. Tell me about your relationship with Agron."

"I love him. Not the way I love Elise or the way I love Willow. That's a pretty deep love too, but with Blake, everything is different, so unusual. He entered my life all of a sudden and now that I look behind, I wonder how I ever managed without him. He makes me a better person, he brings out the best in me. I never thought I had the capability to love someone more than myself, but now it turns out, yes, I do love him that way."

"Aww I feel jealous." Dad says and I smile at him before giving him a tight hug.
"I love you daughter." Dad says against my hair.
"Just one last question dad. Why don't you ever say anything for me when mom shouts at me?" This thought had always been niggling at the back of my head.
"I do say things to her. But not in front of you. She's still your mother and my wife. She deserves respect. If I ever point out her mistake in front of you, will you ever take her seriously then? I do it behind closed doors." He says and I nod in understanding.

"Dad one more thing." I say when he starts to walk inside and shut off the porch lights.
"Why did you allow me to drink wine?" I say pointing to my now empty glass.
"Loving you is one thing, trusting you is another. Thankfully, I do both." He grins and walks away, engulfing me in darkness.

It feels good. To be loved and trusted. Human beings don't realize it, but at the end, love saves us. Not wealth, not talent, not any damn relationship. Love, of any and every kind. Love between family, between friends or any other special person. And most importantly, love with one's own self. When we're drowning, it floats around us and keeps us up on the surface.

Gosh, when did I become so deep? I shake my head as if to clear it and start walking upstairs.
I take my phone from the charging point and check it.

Good night. Don't get involved into any more fights. Don't go mad, we have school tomorrow. -B

I smile.

As you say, pretty boy. -A

Yeah whatever. Love and kisses. -B

Only kisses? :( -A

Yes only kisses. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the girl in this relationship. -B

Girl or boy, you're an amazing amazing person. I love you. Good night. -A

I love you much much more. -B

I kiss the screen of my phone and walk upstairs.
Kicking open my room, I switch on the lights. The sight in front of me makes me drop my phone and scream.

Willow is lying on her bed with her wrist fallen down, razor in one hand and blood dripping from another.

•••

Chapter dedicated to @god_of_lies for wonderful comments and the votes. Keep reading!