Sisters before misters

Willow
I enter the house to see no trace of Lia in the living room. When she arrives at home, she usually sits with mom in the hall and they talk about all that what happened. She is literally perfect. I can't believe I'm thinking that way about her. She's my sister, for God's sake. Sisters aren't supposed to steal guys from you. I ignore the stupid voice in my head. It seems like my mind is my biggest enemy.

I go to the kitchen to find mom and surprisingly, dad too. And he's hunched over her as she cooks something on the stove. He's holding her waist from behind and says something to which she laughs. I awkwardly stand there and clear my throat. They instantly move away and mom blushes while dad just smiles. He must have been quite a charmer before he married mum. Like Blake.

"What happened Willow? Why are you in the kitchen all of a sudden? Hungry?" He asks.
"Nah. Just lonely." I shrug.
Mom turns from behind and asks me with worry etched upon her features, "What's wrong Low? Where is Aurelia?" She asks. Personally, I feel mum has always favoured me more than Lia, but then who am I to complain? She was a model back in her days, which she stopped after marrying my dad. And she has hopes that I can do the same, I'm more like her. We like people who are like us.

"Where is she?" Mum asks, now cutting the spring onions while dad peels oranges and eats them.
"With her boyfriend." I blurt out.
Both of their heads shoot up.
"She has a boyfriend? She never told us." Mom says.
"Who is he?" Dad adds in his all-protective-father gear.
"Blake Agron. The guy who saved me." I don't know why I felt the need to add that.

"Oh he is a good guy. I'm just a bit disappointed that Aurelia didn't inform us." Dad said. He looked kind of happy. Mom's reaction was however what I was looking for.
"But Willow, I thought he liked you. The day he came, I could clearly see him wanting to protect you. Surprising." She mutters the last part under her breathe.

I shrug. Even I thought he liked me. But now I could clearly see how much he was in awe of her. It was clear in his body language.
"I'll move to my room now. See you guys later." I say and walk upstairs. Everyone around me is in love while I'm sitting here like a potato. A very sexy potato nonetheless.

I look into the mirror. What is there in Aurelia that isn't in me? This hurts. The rejection, the ignorance and the wasted feelings. Lia is very smart, but even I get good grades. I'm extremely pretty. Excuse the self obsession, but I'm stating facts. I'm more popular, more confident and more loved; even if most of the love is from the male population. Why can't Blake like me? I clench my fists in frustation. My phone pings.

The biggest bash of the year is here! We invite you to Janet Mason's party at her mansion. Booze, fun and enjoyment unlimited, you won't ever forget the night of your lives! Tomorrow, at 7:00 pm, the party is on!

I smirk. This is the exact time to try to get over. Feeling rejected by Blake hurts, but then I'm not the type to waste away my youth chasing unrequited love. Of course, I loved him, a lot, I was kind of addicted, but I have to move on. I'm not a bitch, you see. Tempting as it is, I'm not going to destroy my sister's relationship. I reply to Janet in affirmative and drop down on my bed to sleep. If it wasn't for my attitude, I would have been a broken mess by now.

I wake up around five hours later when I hear noises. I turn around to see Aurelia near the cupboard. When she sees me she smiles apologetically. "I'm sorry if I woke you up Low."
I rub my eyes to adjust to the light. "Where were you Lia?" I ask her.
"I was out."
"You can say that you were with Blake."
Somehow that came out more bitter than I intended it to.

Aurelia looks at me for a moment before sighing and coming over to sit near me. "I know why you're upset-"
"The reason you're thinking isn't the one."
"Then what is it?"
"Umm..I'm just upset that Blake stole my sister from me."
She pinches her nose in exasperation.
"You were never upset when I was with Steve."
She caught me. I look at her face. She's always had dark circles, light wrinkles and droopy eyes. She had always been under stress, I realize now. But now, she looks fresh, beautiful. Blake has made her this way. He makes her happy.

"Willow, I know you liked him, and that you still have feelings for him. But trust me, I tried to stay away from him, I even told him about you; but he aaid he loved me. And now somewhere along the way, I fell for him too." She says looking down as she wrings her fingers, a habit she's had since long.
She looks so utterly helpless yet so strong. Maybe you look like that when you're in love. Swallowing my pride, I forced the words out of my mouth.

"I'm happy for you Lia. You don't need my permission to be with Blake."
She looks up in shock. She didn't expect this. To be honest, even I didn't. I want him, I know, but I can surely try to stay away. Maybe if I avoid him, stay away from him, I could move on. I can do that much for the girl who has done everything she could for me.

"Oh Willow." She says and hugs me.
I hug her back tightly.
"And don't worry about us. Sisters before misters, that will stay the same forever." She says.
"Yes, sisters before misters. This will be a caption on Instagram on my profile now." I say and she laughs.

But I can't help but think how girl codes are often forgotten in the long run.