Secrets of the past

Aurelia
I look besides me to see who has settled. Blake. The moonlight reflects on his handsome features and for a moment, I can't take my eyes off him. He looks at me and smiles, "What is the host of the party doing away from the place of celebration?"

I shrug. "I just can't blend into too much of crowd you know. Solitude has solace." I quote. He grins. "Deeeeep." He stretches the word. "Yeah deeep. You sound like when people realize what the other person said was deep, and they stretch the word in awe." I say. He laughs. "That sounds like something you would never do." I roll my eyes. "You will never see me gushing and talking. Like who talks like that? Barbie dolls?" I say. He grins.

"Barbie dolls don't talk." I punch him on the arm. "You know what I mean." He laughs again. I look at him. A smile can't help but occupy my face.

"Okay but seriously, why are you out here Aurelia?" He asks.
"I told you already. This is not my scene. I did organize this party, but I did it this way because Willow likes it like this. If it would have been my birthday, there wouldn't even be three fourth of the crowd which is present right now." I say as I pull out some more grass from the ground below. "I got Willow a gift." He says. "What is it?" I ask, since I knew she was crushing on Blake. "I decided to settle on a perfume, what do you girls need after all?" He says. "Oh there are a lot of options." I say,"What did you gift your girlfriend?"

He scratches his head and gives me an apologetic look. "What, you never had a girlfriend?" I ask. I might just slip into the manure hole we had dug in the backyard.
"I had one, but it was in middle school. It wasn't a serious relationship. I braided her hair and she helped me with homework, you get it?"

It was my turn to burst out laughing now. "Seriously, braiding hair?" I laughed out some more as he looked at me with an amused expression.
"From whom did you learn to braid hair?" I asked,"And why?" He looked away at the stars above. "I used to tie ny mom's hair back when she was in the hospital. I learnt while looking at her tying it herself in her good days." He said.

I immediately feel something constricting in my chest. We hadn't talked about his mother anytime, it was like a silent agreement that we shouldn't speak about her. I thought that there might be some issues. But never had it crossed my mind that she might be...dead. He continues speaking however. "She was suffering from lung cancer. It took over her suddenly, one year was all she could last after it took over her body." He said. I can't look at his eyes, half shocked and half scared to. Because I didn't know what to say in that situation. Who does? That I'm sorry? How can anyone ever fill in the loss, the gap in his life? I scoot closer to him and keep my hand on his hand. He flinches but relaxes after I rub his fingers with mine. I study his face. How come I never noticed before what intriguing eyes he had. Green as the colour of nature, with endless depth, tired and sad. How he had a sweet smile, like he can go on loving and loving people as much as he can. How he has a tall, amazing body but he seems to be so weak. His hair, ever since he lost his mother, no one would have even ruffled his hair like a mom does. I instinctively felt a need to run my fingers through his hair, but I held back. I looked at this man in front of me. How despite all the odds, he grew up to be a wonderful person. Many kids get spoiled once something tragic happens in their life, due to circumstances. Blake, however, he turned out to be so strong, so good. There are so many little things about him that make me happy.

How he treats me with so much respect. How he taps me on my head whenever he comes to meet me. How he tells cute funny jokes to make me laugh. How he never crosses his boundaries, he's so sweet and polite, but it never comes across as flirting. How he speaks about his mother so fondly, but doesn't ask for sympathy or gain my pity. I rest my head on his shoulder. He feels warm, and for the first time ever with a guy, I feel safe. I'm not a very firm decision maker or a sure person in life, but one thing I'm really sure of is that I really like Blake. We sit for a while in the backyard when someone calls for me. I immediately sit up straight and Blake looks at me with an unreadable expression. Lindsay comes in from behind and says,"Aurelia, everyone's looking for you." And when her gaze falls on Blake, she flushes and says,"Also, gifts are being given to the birthday girl right now." She says and scurries away.

Willow's friends are like her, all girly and flushed, I shake my head as I think. I go inside and I see Willow dancing with Brad, the football team captain. She seems happy and laughing, maybe she isn't all that interested in Blake. The thought makes me a bit warm on the inside. I drive it away and walk inside. Blake hands it over to Willow and she pulls him in for a dance. I love her confidence. People are huddled together and they sway about. Blake looks genuinely shy as Willow dances with him, just doing some basic steps to the rock songs. "You like him." Someone says from behind me.
___________________________
Please vote and comment xx