Matters of the heart

Yayy chapter with a surprise! Make sure you vote and comment! :*
________________________Blake
I toyed with the keys in my hand and pushed the door open as I entered after finally fitting in the right key.

"Dad I don't get why you need me to open the door with my personal leys when you're present in the house!" I yell out to him.
"Don't shout boy, I do it so atleast you learn how to use keys!" He yells back from the kitchen.

I sigh exasperatedly and walk into the kitchen where dad is wearing his apron in a funny way and bending over a vessel cooking something which gives off a delicious aroma. I walk besides him and see he's cooking chicken. I smack my lips. Wow.

"Now tell me where the heck were you the entire night? I understand you might be getting shagged, but you have to inform me son." Dad is so cool, it's almost like we're friends, but that doesn't mean he'll talk about my sex life.

"I wasn't getting laid. In fact, I was stuck in an emergency situation." Dad raises his eyebrows at me and I explain to him the entire story.

"Oh so it seems like you like this girl." I whip my head around. "Which girl?"
"The girl you saved."
I roll my eyes. "No I don't. Her parents assume the same thing, but I don't have any sort of romantic feelings for her."
"Then do you like anyone."
I pause.
"Nup."
There was silence.
"I'll go to my room. Call me when lunch is ready."
"Sure."

I run up the marble stairs of my house and walk into my room at the corner of the hallway. I keep my things at their proper places, yes, I'm not one of those who'll throw it around.

I go straight to the floor near my window and move the rug. Below it is a secret compartment. I open the door and go by the stairs in the basement. Here it might seem like a dingy, dull place as it is a secret apartment; but it is actually better maintained than my own room. This is the place where I do all my work, painting and photography.

On one side, there are a lot of pictures, of my mom and two pictures in water and oil colours, painted by me. The wall is filled completely, not leaving even a single trace of it untouched by a picture. It starts from her young days and at the end, there are pictures clicked during the time she was diagnosed with cancer. Instead of crying or feeling nostalgic however, I smile. I have her memories with me and her words, and I know she'll always remain close to me, no matter what. Physical presence isn't the only kind of presence, is it? Let people say that she isn't here anymore, I know she is. Around here somewhere itself. And then I turn around to see the other wall.

This wall is only filled till a certain extent. I don't have many pictures of her after all. But I plan to assemble them and create another collage like I did with mom's pictures.

Aurelia.

Photographs of her, candids while I've met her several times, stare back at me from the wall. On the side, I pull of the cover off a canvas. There lies her unfinished painting, a painting as beautiful as her.

I don't exactly remember the moment I fell for her, but I'm sure it must have been in one of those countless moments she's been with me. The first time I saw her, head bent over a book in the library, I knew there was something to this girl. Something that drew me towards her. And one fine day, I was able to put my finger on it.

Aurelia resembled my mom. She had the caring, responsible side my mom possessed. Even her face somehow reminded me of my mother, though they didn't actually look alike.

I'd grown to realize, this wasn't infatuation or lust we were talking about, I loved her. She was everything a girl could be. No, it wasn't about her looks. Aurelia wasn't particularly gorgeous or hot. She was like one of the pictures I clicked. It wasn't catchy and you wonder whether you should keep it or not. But then you keep staring at it, and you notice all the minute things, all the details, and you absorb them in. Aurelia was like that picture. You won't look at her think,"Damn she's hot." Instead if you stare long enough, you'll see, she's so fucking beatiful.

You'll see all the little details, the brown birthmark below her ear. The clefts on both sides of her chin. The slope of her sharp nose. The tips of her hair which are slightly darker than the top. And I'm so glad that I was the one who noticed all this, that I could drink in her beauty. She didn't know about it obviously. Butterflies can't see their wings, they can't see how beautiful they are, but people can.

And then her responsible, mature side. Hell, she was nothing like what teenage girls are. While most of them are struggling between adulthood and childhood, Auri had very gracefully crossed the boundaries. She believed that she was a mess, but she didn't know that she was an enchanting mess.

She was loyal, faithful and intelligent. And when you get those qualities in a generation of dumb hoes, you hold the fuck on. Not to mention, my ex girlfriend. Auri is the type of girl, the one I'm sure my mother would have approved of and my dad will love. And the one who owns my heart.

But will I let her know all this? Maybe, if the time is right. But for now, I enjoy being her best friend. I hope I'm the guy who has taught her to let go, to be herself and live life to the fullest. Until next time.

I drape the cover over her painting and shut off the lights. I get out of the room in time to hear dad yelling me to come for lunch. I hear my phone ping and I check it.

Thanks for your help. Trust me Blake, it means a lot. Thank you so so much. -A

It's okay Auri, don't say thank you so many times. -B

If only you knew, I'd do everything to win you over in a heartbeat once again.