Defences

Willow
I come inside my room late at night. As usual, Lia had left the house open for me. I could really count on her. She had never let me, except for stealing the guy I love. I know I told myself to control my emotions and go find some other guy, but that's too fucking difficult when all I want is him. Whenever I see any other guy, I see traces of Blake. Whenever I kiss someone else, I feel the outline of his lips. This is driving me crazy, but I'm still maintaining my distance. I'll still try to stay away from the two of them. I'm a good sister, ain't I?

I tiptoe into the room so that she doesn't wake up. She's soundly sleeping. As I change and come out of the bathroom I see something shiny on Aurelia's hand. I walk closer to her bed and kneel down next to her. Shining on the ring finger of her left hand is a beautiful, pearl ring. No doubt where this comes from. Jealousy boils up in me again but I try to pacify myself. I slowly slip out the ring off her finger and wear it. It doesn't fit me though. It was a perfect size for Aurelia, but with me it just doesn't do. Lia is usually a heavy sleeper so when she stirs in her sleep, I tumble back and immediately jump into my bed, keeping the ring on the table between our beds. I pull the blanket over my head and before I know it, I'm off to sleep.

Aurelia
My alarm clock rings shrilly and I sit up straight in bed. Shutting it off, I put my legs down and stand up. My gaze falls upon the ring Blake gave to me on the table. I wore it last night, didn't I? How did it land up there? I did wear it to sleep, how did it go there? I might have forgotten and kept it there. I see Willow's sleeping figure on her bed. Did she? No, she wouldn't do that! Whatever. Maybe I myself had taken it off. Now this ring won't ever leave my finger. I wear it back on and tie up my bun as I get ready for school.

The post effects of the party are clear on my face in the form of even deeper dark circles and baggy cheeks. I dress up quickly and go down to my car to see that it has a flat tyre. Fuck it. Today is definitely not my day.

I call up Blake and ask him to pick me up while I sit in my backyard. Willow is still getting ready upstairs and when she comes down, I'll tell her to ask Jess to give her a lift. She lives only two blocks away anyways. I play with the grass in my backyard when I hear mum calling my name from behind.

I turn around and she stands there with a disapproving look on her face.
"What even happened to your skin Aurelia? It has become so rough and patchy, also your hair seems to have lost all of it's shine. Do you ever look at Willow? She takes such fine care of herself. I thought getting a boyfriend will make you take more care of yourself, but apparently, that's not the case." She says and it takes all of my strenghth to not roll my eyes and grunt at that statement.

I bite back a retort on my tongue and instead say,"It's been stressful the past couple of days. I promise I'll try to rejuvenate myself mom." She mutters something and go back. Family isn't supposed to be like this. Family is where everyone sticks together. They are the only people who love you for who you are and not try to change you. Maybe I've got all my definitions wrong.

As I hear Blake pull onto the gravel outside my house, I smile. He said I'm his reason to smile, it's quite the opposite actually. In this turbulent sea of problems, he keeps me binded, sane. He's my anchor. I get up with my bag and go out of the gate. I hug him as soon as he comes out. A tight hug wherein he's almost completely crushed to me. Maybe some bonds are greater than blood. When God doesn't always gives you a perfect family life, he sometimes sends another angel to be your saviour.

"Are you okay?" He asks. And then he runs his hand through my hair like he usually does.
"Now I am." I whisper.
As we seperate, we see Willow coming out of the gate.

"Oh hello Mr. Aurelia." She says with a wink to him to which he nods at her in aknowledgement. "Aurelia, why aren't we going by our own car. Don't tell me you ditched me at the last minute just so you can go with your boyfriend!"

"I do have a name, you know. And it is a fact that Auri wouldn't do that to you." Blake interrupts and I intervene before something happens between the two of them.
"Willow the car tyre got punctured. Can't you call Jess or Lindsay to pick you up?" I ask her politely.

"Nope. They already left." She says pulling out the chewing gum from her mouth as she plays with it.
"I'll drop both of you." Blake says and gets into the car without another word. I get into the passenger seat while Willow sits behind.

"I'll drop you home back. But let's meet my dad before that? Do you have any extra work after school?" Blake asks to fill the uncomfortable silence.
"You're meeting his dad, that's so cool Lia!" Willow pipes up and I give her a small smile before turning back to Blake.

"I don't have any work after school. We can go to your house." I say.
"Sure." I answer shortly.

"But Aurelia you aren't even appropriately dressed. I mean, from what I've heard, Blake lives in a pretty rich household. You could have worn something designer. Borrowed it from me, if you wanted. I just think you should change before going to his place." Willow says from behind. Ouch, that stung.

"Aurelia, you're beautiful just the way you are actually. You don't need to change your clothes or anything about you for that matter. My dad anyways prefers people with a personality more over some senseless bimbos." Blake finishes and I want to applaud.

As it goes without saying, we listened to music for the rest of the journey.

When we reach school, we get down and before anyone can say anything, Blake kisses me and walks inside. Willow also walks away with her nose in the air towards the ground. And I'm rooted to the ground wondering what the fuck just happened.