Issue #36 Iron and Wine...a Supernatural TLN Series

The damp scent of the ocean filled the street, the lights out and the lamposts were shattered in this part of town. Most of the lamps had been burnt out except for one feeble rusted out one. My aunt would have described it as there still being hope in the world, a thought I found amusing and ironic. Hope, yes there was some of that, I was still here. A few sad palm trees grew in the sidewalk, their roots trying to desperately cling to the sewer grates. I shook my head in sadness, I was never much of a city girl.  A trash can crashed, my senses went on high alert to only turn and see it was a stupid cat. I had told Dean and Sam about the demon. They only had one knife to kill it with, wonderful.

At least they had the exorcism, but they wouldn’t be able to do much talking if they were too busy being dead.

Silently my feet fell in line with theirs as we crept along the road.

“Hello, boys.” The voice was that of a stranger’s.

Behind us was a man. He had a black suit, brown eyes and a receding hairline.

“Crowley,” Dean said disgusted, “What the hell?”

“We’ve been keeping an eye on you boys.” Crowley smiled. “You too, darling;” My eyes hardened as I watched his eyes scroll down my body.

“Hope,” He chuckled at my name. I glared at him, “What an ironic name for an Interloper. Odysseus was one as well, and you know of his tragedy. We couldn’t have done it without you, 'cause you see; without you we wouldn’t know where the Anti Christ was.”

It hit me, “You’ve been inside my head.”

“Only as much as Balthazar.”

“What would you want Jesse Turner for?” Dean growled.

 Crowley shook his head, “Oh you see, that’s the thing. I don’t want him, but a lord of ours. He’s a bit tied up though, being God and all.”

“So the whole thing of him showing up at Chuck’s;” Sam theorized. “It was all for us to think he wasn’t unto our plan.” His eyes fell on Crowley, “It was a distraction,”

“Yes, Sammy—just like this will be a distraction.” The King of Hell snapped his fingers. A huge dog came from out of the shadows. I took a couple steps, back. The beast was like a Rottweiler on steroids.

“What’s the matter Hope?” Dean asked, his head turning towards me.

My eyes widened, “You don’t see that!?” A deep growl echoed on the walls. Dean's eyes widened, Sam stepped back in fear.

“Congratulations,” Crowley applauded with one single clap. “You can see Hellhounds.”

 Dean swore, and they took off running. I followed, hearing the hellhound on our trail.

My feet flew across the street, my arms pumping at my sides. I would not face that thing if I didn’t have to.

I heard it scampering behind me, hot on my heels. My heart raced. Sam and Dean were ahead of me, if any of us would be turned into mincemeat it would be me. Oh so I had thought. Sam crossed the stones, and he smashed into the ground. My heart filled with dread as I skidded to a stop. The Rottweiler was on him now and Sam screamed in pain, the dog began tearing his body apart.