Issue #16: Daemon...a Supernatural TLN Series

By the time Sam was done stitching me up it was 4AM. This time I thought I might actually try to sleep, though I didn’t know how I was going to do that on the floor and Sam and Dean hogging the beds. When I came out of the bathroom they were both in an individual bed.

I stood in the dark, a silhouette in between both of the beds. I scratched my arm uneasily.

“Um…could I bunk with one of you guys?”

Sam said nothing, he was too embarrassed. Dean however, wasn’t the least bit shy.

“I guess you can with me, but you start snoring I’m gonna slap you.” Part of him sounded like he didn’t mean it.

Still I crawled underneath the sheets replying, “That’s okay, everyone does.”

We went down to the continental breakfast later that morning. Amazingly I had slept and had not snored, which benefitted everyone. I had some toast and strawberries while I relayed the night before and the details of the blue eyed, brown wolf. Sam and Dean listened intently as I spoke of how she had a damaged left shoulder, like my own.

 Sam was the first to speak, “It sounds like a daemon to me,”

This discouraged me, “A demon? I didn’t know they could possess animals;”

Dean shook his head, “No, a daemon,” I heard no sound difference between what I had just said. “It’s spelt differently, Hope.” Dean explained.

“Oh,” I answered, feeling dumb.

Sam nodded, “Yes, daemons are like your soul, I’ve heard about them in books. They urge you to make decisions, you get hurt—they get hurt. Bobby knows a bit more about this. I’ve never seen one, but they are very common in Native American Legends, but they have different names. They are supposed to be next to their people at all times, but the books don’t get everything right.” He admitted.

Dean had stolen my food by this time due to the little selection the hotel had. I ignored him as I spoke, “So, do you think we should try to find it, the daemon?” In an instant I swiped back my plate. He scowled at me.

“No, it’s better to leave it be,” Dean answered. “It might be your daemon but it might also be really ticked if we try to catch it.”

I nodded in disappointed agreement. Some part of me felt lost, unsure of the future.

By finding out that the ghost was a boy, it narrowed down our suspects. They needed the file narrowed down more though; and since I had the best look at him I had to do it, go in the morgue and have a look-see. I wasn’t very pleased about the experience until I found out they were going to salt and burn the bones. Knowing that made me feel better.

Deciding that we were going in later that night, we really didn’t have anything else planned for the rest of the day. Dean went to a drive-thru for lunch, I took a shower, and Sam read.

We all went off to do our own thing, because later that night we’d be breaking in.

 I opened the sketchbook I had bought and stretched out across the bed.

I drew trees, and then I added grass with strokes of my pencil I continued. Drawing rocks and continuous shading I had relaxed, not even realizing an hour and a half had passed.

“That’s pretty elaborate,” Dean said as I nearly jumped out of the bed in surprise. I was so relaxed I hadn’t been expecting anyone.

Dean was smirking from my reaction, “Don’t do that!” I was insulted.

He laughed, “What? Compliment you?”

“No, scare me!”

Dean looked at the book in front of me, “Sorry. I didn’t know you were that good.”

“Thanks?” I was embarrassed from yelling at him.