50

M A R Y

the next few weeks of balancing school and the bakery were a breeze. every day, mike would drive me to harrys store and even hang out with us on his shift. by the second week of november, he had scored a job there as cashier and we started to see louis a lot less often there. but, there were always those wild weekend parties where harry made sure to check the labels on our drinks.

penny and i kept our friendship, and it wasn't until christmas eve that the original three of us had another official hangout at my house. we sat around the christmas tree, exchanging presents and drinking hot chocolate.

"it's been a gazillion years since you gave birth to jesus." harry said with a light chuckle. penny just giggled and opened her present.

i, on the other hand, was confused. "what's that supposed to mean?"

he scoffed like it was obvious. "mary in the manger. the virgin mary."

penny checked her phone and perked up. "you guys, my parents are here. i have to go."

penny had always been the first one to leave. her parents had that kind of overprotective nature. im sure that she hated it, because we certainly did at times.

"aw." harry whined. i lay my head in his lap as he played with my hair. "you can't leave us. it'll be a bore."

penny laughed and tried to hold all of her gifts all at once. "im sure that the two of you will be fine without me."

so she left in a hurry, and even waved from her parents care as she drove away. harry and i looked at each other blankly. we hadn't opened our presents yet and didn't plan on it since he would be spending christmas with my family this year.

"now what do we do?" i asked innocently, batting my eyelashes.

harry just did what i expected him to do, and that was kiss me. it was long and steamy, but no one was home except for us so we had the right to go as far as we wanted.

we had been in a relationship for about three months now, and we knew our boundaries. sometimes, in the heat of the moment, we seemed to forget them, though.

this was one of those times.

harry hoisted me up and lifted me onto the couch, hovering over me. his hot breath fanned my neck and i breathed out his name.

"harry." i cooed. "we can't. my parents could get home from bingo any minute now."

that had to be the most unsexy thing ever said.

harry giggled, despite his position. "come on, baby." he whispered in my ear. i felt goosebumps rise on my skin from his words. he was almost begging for it. "it's christmas eve. don't you want to get a little... festive?" he laughed, pulling out a streamer from under me and blowing it.

i was laughing so hard i had to cover my eyes. we had to be the lamest couple of all time.

he frowned, staring into my eyes. "or, we could just make out. because you know im all about consent."

i smiled. he was such a dork. "and sea world protest."

he nodded, looking to the side for a second and pouting his lip. "okay, you got me. that too."

how could i ever say no to harry? anyone else in my shoes would've been quick to say yes. but then, i guess i wasn't just anyone to him.

there were no words to express what i was feeling, so i just kissed him. pressing my lips to his with so much force that he collapsed onto me and made both of us laugh into the kiss. with harry, nothing was forced. it was like it was natural.

"i know i say this a lot," harry breathed as he pulled away from the kiss. "but im so glad you stole my journal."

all i could do was grin. i was so lucky. "me too."

then, in the spur of the moment, he kissed me again. but this time, his fingers lingered at the hem of my shirt and quickly pulled it over my head. i felt vulnerable and exposed, but didn't do anything to cover myself.

"you're so beautiful." he hummed, and his eyes weren't anywhere but my face. i felt my cheeks flush red.

"har-" i started to say, but he used a soft and gentle hand to cover my mouth.

"just let me treat you right, baby." he mumbled into my ear, and i completely relaxed under him. i couldn't even process what was happening. was harry really about to be my first? did he even know that?

i didn't know what to say.

"after three months of being with you," he said slowly, and with each phrase he slowly eased his shirt over his head. "sometimes, a little too much being with you, because you get on my nerves sometimes." i laughed. "i have discovered my undeniable feelings for you, mary miller."

i felt all the air leaving my lungs.

"i love you." we both said simultaneously, and nothing felt better than saying that and having harry feel the same.

"and im going to prove it." he said, and i knew that he was telling the truth. "im going to take really good care of you."

and i believed him.